- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Telecom bill is practical solution
To the editor;
Among the many important pieces of legislation passed in this year's legislative session is House Bill 209, which clarifies the taxation of wireless telephone services.
Through commonsense compromise, legislators worked to protect consumers from unbridled taxes -- sometimes as high as 11 percent -- while preserving local revenue for a community's vital services.
HB 209 creates a fair tax system that addresses the changing nature of the communications industry and ends costly litigation that threatened to result in higher taxes.
The bill reduces high telephone taxes and replaces them with a lower, broad-based tax on both telephone and wireless services.
Left unchanged, the current law would have allowed cities to propose wireless taxes without limitation. HB 209 caps these taxes at 5 percent. It's likely most of these taxes will be held even lower.
The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry is confident that Missouri communities will reap the benefits of this legislation in the years ahead, and consumer will avoid large spikes that could result from pending lawsuits.
I commend lawmakers for finding this solution to a very real problem.
DANIEL P. MEHAN, President/CEO,
Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Jefferson City, Mo.