- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
VILLA RIDGE, Ill. -- Emma Francine Shumaker, 80, of Villa Ridge died Thursday, May 22, 2003, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Sept. 25, 1922, in Cairo, Ill., daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Lou Emma Lowery East. She and Edward Earl Shumaker Sr. were married June 6, 1944, in Osceola, Ark.
Shumaker had been the Villa Ridge news correspondent for Cairo Evening Citizen Newspaper. She was a member of Villa Ridge Union Church, taught Sunday School many years and was a Bible school leader.
Survivors include her husband; a son, Jeff Shumaker of Kennesaw, Ga.; three daughters, Trudy Peeler of East Cape Girardeau, Ill., Julie Fleming of Barlow, Ky., Susan Ramage of Metropolis, Ill.; 12 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a son, three brothers, five sisters, a grandchild, and two great-grandchildren.
Friends may call at Jones Funeral Home in Villa Ridge from 5 to 8 p.m. today, and Saturday after 11 a.m.
The funeral will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Villa Ridge Union Church, with Jack Russell and Terry Kern officiating. Burial will be in Green Lawn Memorial Gardens.