- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Man convicted in toddler's death
OZARK, Mo. -- A Rockaway Beach man was convicted Thursday of second-degree murder in the shaking and beating death of his girlfriend's toddler son.
Jurors returned the guilty verdict against David Manwarren, 23, in Christian County, where the trial was moved from Taney County on a change of venue.
Prosecutors said Manwarren cursed at 2-year-old Josh Polson in March 2001 for crying and twice slammed the child onto the floor of the family's mobile home.
The child died three days later at a Springfield hospital.
Sentencing for Manwarren is scheduled for June 20.