- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
Key developments concerning Iraq
The United States began deploying its most experienced peacekeeping unit in the Iraqi capital. The U.S. Army's 1st Armored Division is scheduled to replace the 3rd Infantry Division -- a move that will reduce the number of U.S. troops in Iraq from 170,000 to just over 100,000.
The U.S.-backed Iraqi Health Ministry ordered an immediate health survey around the sprawling but dormant Tuwaitha nuclear plant outside Baghdad. Members of the Iraqi nuclear agency have expressed worry about radiation damage to those living nearby.
The U.N. Development Program's chief adviser, Maurice Albert, said electricity shortages will taper off soon. He said Iraq's dilapidated power plants need overhauls but are still functioning. However, over the next few years, he said the country needs massive investment to fix its energy infrastructure.
In another sign normalcy could be returning, 740 Iraqi refugees left Lebanon by bus bound for their homes.
The International Committee of the Red Cross suspended shuttles from Baghdad to the northern city of Irbil after a Japanese aid vehicle was peppered by 15 bullets. No one was injured and the ICRC did not say when the shooting occurred.