Preparing for prom is more fun than going

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I now believe in saving the best for last. The prom was awesome and a great way to wrap up my high school dances. All the hype and glitz that I have heard about senior prom were fulfilled April 29 at the Bavarian Halle.

I think that getting ready to go to prom was more fun than actually going. My day began with being forced to wake up early and go to track practice, not exactly the wonderful start to the day that I was looking for, but I made do.

After suffering through a cold and wet track practice, I decided to go tanning. I couldn't wait to enter a warm, peaceful tanning bed. After taking a 15-minute nap, I was ready to start getting ready for prom.

My hair appointment was at 2:30 so I had just enough time to fix something to eat, take a shower and make it to my appointment on time. My little sister and some of her friends were out of school, so they decided to come along and watch me get ready. My hair was done with big curls pinned to the top of my hair with a basket weave on the top. I was pleased with the way it turned out, even though it seemed to take forever.

After shellacking it to my head with about a gallon of hairspray, I was off to get my makeup done. The fun thing about getting your makeup done is sitting there and having everyone comment on how good your hair looks and how the eye shadow brings out the green in your eyes. It seems like everyone wants to know what your dress looks like and where you are going to eat.

It makes you feel special.

One I was done with my hair and my makeup I was ready to leave the mall and go home to get ready. It was pouring down rain when I was leaving the mall so getting to my car was quite a challenge. But once in I was set on making it home. But upon arriving we remembered that we had forgotten to pick up the boutonnière and we had to make a mad dash to the florist before it closed. After picking up the flower and going home, I then began to finish getting ready.

My little sister painted my nails, and we put bronzing glitter lotion all over my body. I put my jewelry and my dress on and then took about a million pictures before I left. My dress was bright orange with silver bead work all over it. Dad said when I put it on I turned into a princess. That sounds sweet, but I am pretty sure he meant the kind of princess that bosses everyone around and expects everyone to do everything for them.

Nonetheless, Trey picked me up and after taking a million more pictures we went to eat. After eating, we arrived at prom and danced the night away. And before I knew it my feet were killing me, I was sweating profusely in my $300 dress, I had taken two more rolls of film and it was time to go.

When I returned home I was so tired, but at the same time I felt my second wind coming on.

We went to Project Prom, where we bowled and played games and ate enough food to feed a small family. I won the "sporting gift pack" in the raffle and came home with another roll of film taken.

After going until I couldn't go anymore, I was so tired. It hit me all at once, so when I got home I fell right to sleep. When I woke up the next morning I took my pictures to one-hour photo and reminisced about the night I had just experienced.

Amber Karnes is a senior at Notre Dame Regional High School in Cape Girardeau.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: