- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)9
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Colombian man accused of kidnapping Americans extradited to Un
BOGOTA, Colombia -- A Colombian man wanted in the kidnapping of numerous Americans was extradited to the United States on Saturday.
Gerardo Herrera left Bogota Saturday morning on an FBI plane, an official for Colombia's judicial police told The Associated Press.
The official, who declined to be identified, said Herrera faces drug-smuggling and hostage-taking charges in Washington.
Arrested in Bogota in June 2001, Herrera allegedly belonged to a group of kidnappers who for years targeted Americans and other foreigners working across the border in Ecuador.
One victim was Ronald Sander, an employee of Tulsa, Okla.-based Helmerich & Payne Inc. Sander was abducted in October 2000 along with seven other oil workers, including four Americans.
His bullet-ridden body was found on a jungle road in January 2001 covered in a white sheet scrawled with the message: "I am a gringo. For nonpayment of ransom." The seven other hostages were freed in March 2001 after $13 million was paid.
Two other alleged members of the gang were extradited to the United States late last year.
Kidnapping is a favorite method of criminal groups in Colombia, where 3,000 people were taken hostage last year.