- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
Henry Burnette was a good man, friend to many
To the editor:
I would like to make a few comments regarding the passing of Henry Burnette, longtime Cape Girardeau resident and a friend to many. I recall as a youngster going to Ruhs market to pick up a few things for my mom. I usually wound up at the meat counter, and there was Henry always willing to wait on me and pass the time of day. Henry knew I had a dog, old Skipper, so he would make sure he threw in a few meat scraps. I left Cape in the early 1950s to enter the military but always managed to return now and then to visit my family. We somehow managed to visit Henry's Meat Market for some good cuts and friendly conversation. Henry will be missed by those who knew him over the years. I would like to extend my sincere sympathy to the family. Henry was a good man and friend to many.
LARRY D. SWANN
Kimberling City, Mo.