- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Henry Burnette was a good man, friend to many
To the editor:
I would like to make a few comments regarding the passing of Henry Burnette, longtime Cape Girardeau resident and a friend to many. I recall as a youngster going to Ruhs market to pick up a few things for my mom. I usually wound up at the meat counter, and there was Henry always willing to wait on me and pass the time of day. Henry knew I had a dog, old Skipper, so he would make sure he threw in a few meat scraps. I left Cape in the early 1950s to enter the military but always managed to return now and then to visit my family. We somehow managed to visit Henry's Meat Market for some good cuts and friendly conversation. Henry will be missed by those who knew him over the years. I would like to extend my sincere sympathy to the family. Henry was a good man and friend to many.
LARRY D. SWANN
Kimberling City, Mo.