- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
Henry Burnette was a good man, friend to many
To the editor:
I would like to make a few comments regarding the passing of Henry Burnette, longtime Cape Girardeau resident and a friend to many. I recall as a youngster going to Ruhs market to pick up a few things for my mom. I usually wound up at the meat counter, and there was Henry always willing to wait on me and pass the time of day. Henry knew I had a dog, old Skipper, so he would make sure he threw in a few meat scraps. I left Cape in the early 1950s to enter the military but always managed to return now and then to visit my family. We somehow managed to visit Henry's Meat Market for some good cuts and friendly conversation. Henry will be missed by those who knew him over the years. I would like to extend my sincere sympathy to the family. Henry was a good man and friend to many.
LARRY D. SWANN
Kimberling City, Mo.