- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Henry Burnette was a good man, friend to many
To the editor:
I would like to make a few comments regarding the passing of Henry Burnette, longtime Cape Girardeau resident and a friend to many. I recall as a youngster going to Ruhs market to pick up a few things for my mom. I usually wound up at the meat counter, and there was Henry always willing to wait on me and pass the time of day. Henry knew I had a dog, old Skipper, so he would make sure he threw in a few meat scraps. I left Cape in the early 1950s to enter the military but always managed to return now and then to visit my family. We somehow managed to visit Henry's Meat Market for some good cuts and friendly conversation. Henry will be missed by those who knew him over the years. I would like to extend my sincere sympathy to the family. Henry was a good man and friend to many.
LARRY D. SWANN
Kimberling City, Mo.