- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Speak Out A 05/14/03
Appetite for cake
IT'S NOT the mayor's fault that Cape Girardeau doesn't have a tornado-warning system. Before long, we won't have any public facilities at all. That is attributable to the skinflint mentality of the taxpayers who simultaneously want to keep and eat their cake.
Let's go take a look
THIS IS anecdotal, but from my observation a storm-warning system for Cape Girardeau would be counterproductive. When I heard SEMO's siren go off, I joined my neighbors in trying to see what was going on by going outside.
AFTER TELLING us that the invasion of Iraq was necessary because Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the United States, we find the Bush administration is arguing that just the potential to make weapons of mass destruction should be enough to justify the invasion. More lies and deceptions just won't cut it. Nothing this president has said to bolster his power grab has been substantiated. Supposed terrorist connections, weapons of mass destruction, bringing democracy and freedom to Iraq -- all have been demonstrated false and empty.