- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Let's give thanks for those who fight for freedom
To the editor:
I clipped the following out of a magazine I was reading. It is so true.
"Let's thank God for the brave men and women who risked their lives for freedom. We do well to take to hear the words of John Stuart Mill, who wrote, 'War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. ... A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight -- nothing he cares about more than his own safety -- is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept by the exertions of better men than himself.'"
Marble Hill, Mo.