- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)50
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Church formed out of First Baptist
Second Missionary Baptist Church actually formed out of the congregation of First Baptist Church, which organized in 1834. Many of the servants or slaves who had been meeting at First Baptist Church formed their own congregation. They gathered in homes for about eight or nine years after the Civil War.
By 1873, they purchased a lot on the corner of Jefferson and South Frederick streets. By 1874, they had built a church.
The church was originally called Missionary Baptist Church and then named Second Baptist Church.
Since 1998, the church has been considering a construction project. The new building at Beaudean and Elm streets replaces the old, crumbling structure on Frederick Street.
The church has been at its new facility since April.