- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
Church formed out of First Baptist
Second Missionary Baptist Church actually formed out of the congregation of First Baptist Church, which organized in 1834. Many of the servants or slaves who had been meeting at First Baptist Church formed their own congregation. They gathered in homes for about eight or nine years after the Civil War.
By 1873, they purchased a lot on the corner of Jefferson and South Frederick streets. By 1874, they had built a church.
The church was originally called Missionary Baptist Church and then named Second Baptist Church.
Since 1998, the church has been considering a construction project. The new building at Beaudean and Elm streets replaces the old, crumbling structure on Frederick Street.
The church has been at its new facility since April.