- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Thank you, volunteers, for all that you do
This week is National Volunteer Week as proclaimed by President Bush. It is the 30th year for this special recognition of volunteers.
Even though a special week has been set aside for volunteer recognition on local, state and national levels, the millions of Americans who find ways to make volunteer contributions in ways small and large are busy all year long.
Special recognition rightfully goes to those volunteers who find ways to give of themselves in special ways or by amassing thousands of hours of volunteer services.
But every volunteer effort is worthy of notice.
It is difficult to imagine how so many of the services and programs that enhance our lives could exist without the willing hands, bright minds, cheery faces and countless hours of volunteers.
Every community has a small army of people who selflessly make time to help others. This is their special week. We salute these giving and caring members of our community. And we want them to know their efforts are appreciated all year long.