- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)29
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)2
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Thank you, volunteers, for all that you do
This week is National Volunteer Week as proclaimed by President Bush. It is the 30th year for this special recognition of volunteers.
Even though a special week has been set aside for volunteer recognition on local, state and national levels, the millions of Americans who find ways to make volunteer contributions in ways small and large are busy all year long.
Special recognition rightfully goes to those volunteers who find ways to give of themselves in special ways or by amassing thousands of hours of volunteer services.
But every volunteer effort is worthy of notice.
It is difficult to imagine how so many of the services and programs that enhance our lives could exist without the willing hands, bright minds, cheery faces and countless hours of volunteers.
Every community has a small army of people who selflessly make time to help others. This is their special week. We salute these giving and caring members of our community. And we want them to know their efforts are appreciated all year long.