- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Thank you, volunteers, for all that you do
This week is National Volunteer Week as proclaimed by President Bush. It is the 30th year for this special recognition of volunteers.
Even though a special week has been set aside for volunteer recognition on local, state and national levels, the millions of Americans who find ways to make volunteer contributions in ways small and large are busy all year long.
Special recognition rightfully goes to those volunteers who find ways to give of themselves in special ways or by amassing thousands of hours of volunteer services.
But every volunteer effort is worthy of notice.
It is difficult to imagine how so many of the services and programs that enhance our lives could exist without the willing hands, bright minds, cheery faces and countless hours of volunteers.
Every community has a small army of people who selflessly make time to help others. This is their special week. We salute these giving and caring members of our community. And we want them to know their efforts are appreciated all year long.