- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Two Malden women die in auto accident
MALDEN, Mo. -- Two Malden women died as a result of injuries sustained in a two-vehicle crash Thursday morning in New Madrid County on Interstate 55, said the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Driver Christine Mitchell, 83, and her passenger, Pamela Harrison, 42, were southbound in a 2002 Buick Century on the roadway. Mitchell attempted to turn left from the right-hand lane and pulled into the path of a southbound 2001 Volvo tractor trailer driven by William Gibbs, 62, of Desoto, Mo.
Mitchell was pronounced dead at the scene by New Madrid County coroner Tim Clayton. Harrison was taken to St. Francis Medical Center by helicopter, but died later in the morning.
The incident was investigated by trooper C.L. Norrid.