- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
52 people killed in South Africa bus accident
SAULSPOORT DAM, South Africa -- A bus packed with passengers headed to a May Day celebration plunged into a reservoir Thursday, killing at least 52 people on board, police said.
The bus was pulled ashore hours after it plunged into the reservoir near the town of Bethlehem with 90 people inside. Some bodies were found on the bus; others were pulled from the water.
Ten survivors were pulled from the water and were briefly hospitalized.
Several police mortuary vans ferried bodies from the scene. At least 52 bodies were recovered, police said.