- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
Iraq war gives wrong messages to the world
To the editor:
By invading and conquering Iraq, we have opened a Pandora's box of messages to the rest of the world:
Might makes right (we will administer vigilante justice).
The end justifies the means (Saddam is gone -- that is what's important, so war and casualties are justified).
Fifty-plus years of U.N. development have been undermined to impose our own dogmatic world view (nobody can tell us what to do).
We are willing to spend all of our money on military hardware (education and health care will have to wait).
HARLAN E. FIEHLER