- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Iraq war gives wrong messages to the world
To the editor:
By invading and conquering Iraq, we have opened a Pandora's box of messages to the rest of the world:
Might makes right (we will administer vigilante justice).
The end justifies the means (Saddam is gone -- that is what's important, so war and casualties are justified).
Fifty-plus years of U.N. development have been undermined to impose our own dogmatic world view (nobody can tell us what to do).
We are willing to spend all of our money on military hardware (education and health care will have to wait).
HARLAN E. FIEHLER