- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Iraq war gives wrong messages to the world
To the editor:
By invading and conquering Iraq, we have opened a Pandora's box of messages to the rest of the world:
Might makes right (we will administer vigilante justice).
The end justifies the means (Saddam is gone -- that is what's important, so war and casualties are justified).
Fifty-plus years of U.N. development have been undermined to impose our own dogmatic world view (nobody can tell us what to do).
We are willing to spend all of our money on military hardware (education and health care will have to wait).
HARLAN E. FIEHLER