- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
Iraq war gives wrong messages to the world
To the editor:
By invading and conquering Iraq, we have opened a Pandora's box of messages to the rest of the world:
Might makes right (we will administer vigilante justice).
The end justifies the means (Saddam is gone -- that is what's important, so war and casualties are justified).
Fifty-plus years of U.N. development have been undermined to impose our own dogmatic world view (nobody can tell us what to do).
We are willing to spend all of our money on military hardware (education and health care will have to wait).
HARLAN E. FIEHLER