- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Jackson tops Central for quad title
Chad Reiminger shot a 2-over-par 37 on the back nine at Cape Girardeau Country Club to claim medalist honors and lead Jackson's golf team to a two-shot victory Thursday.
Jackson finished with a 159 total, followed by host Central (161), Dexter (167) and New Madrid County Central (183).
Matt Litzelfelner added a 39 for Jackson, while Eric Fraley shot 41 and Blake McDowell carded a 42.
Todd Obergoenner and Tyson Seabaugh led Central with 39's and were followed by Blake Driskell (41) and Ty Gramling (42).
TRACK & FIELD
Scott City girls take SEMOConference title
Another four-event triumph by Loren Groves led Scott City's girls to victory Wednesday at the SEMO South Conference Meet in Malden, Mo.
The Rams finished with 149 points to win the seven-team competition, which also consisted of Malden (128), Chaffee (104), Hayti (69), Kelly (67), East Prairie (31) and Oran (26).
Groves, a junior, continued her season-long dominance in the shot put, discus and hurdle events. Groves' discus throw of 134 feet, 4 inches won by nearly 50 feet. She also bested her competition by 3 seconds in the 100 hurdles with a time of 16.18 seconds and topped the 300-hurdle field by 6 seconds in 49.10. Groves won the shot put by more than 2 feet with a toss of 35-7 1/2.
Rachel Kline was Kelly's only female winner with a jump of 4-10 in the high jump. Scott City's Laxton sisters, Angie and Christy, dominated the distance events. Christy claimed the 1,600-meter run (5:56) with Angie right behind. Both times beat the school record. Angie won the 3,200 in 13:23, also a school record, while Christy won the 800 (2:49). Chaffee's Jennifer Vandeven swept the sprint events, winning the 100 (12.62), 200 (27.44) and 400 (1:05.13).
Malden won the boys' meet with 221 points, followed by East Prairie (99), Scott City (93), Kelly ( 77), Hayti (77), Chaffee (34), Portageville (22) and Oran (17).
Kelly's Nathan Lewer was the lone area winner, clearing 6-2 in the high jump.
Jackson girls win meet title at Ste. Genevieve
Jackson's girls won the seven-team Ste. Genevieve Invitational.
Jackson won all four relays and five individual titles. Heather West won the long jump (16-23/4) and triple jump (34-81/4); Trisha Kluesner won the 100 hurdles (16.1); Rachel Lowes won the 800 (2:28.5); and Rebecca Martin won the shot put (36-81/2).-- From staff reports