- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Major Beijing hospital closed amid widening SARS outbreak
BEIJING -- A major hospital in China's capital was closed Thursday amid a SARS outbreak, and patients and more than 2,000 employees were under observation for the disease, an official said.
The People's Hospital of Peking University was being disinfected, said an official of the university management office, who would give only his surname, Sun. He said the closure was related to SARS.
The hospital's Web site says it has 1,020 beds, but Sun said he didn't know how many patients were in the hospital at the time.
All were transferred to one of six hospitals in Beijing designated to handle severe acute respiratory syndrome, Sun said.
People's Hospital's 2,262 employees also were sent to the designated hospitals for observation, he said.
Such observation usually is done in isolation wards, but it wasn't immediately clear whether all of those involved would be quarantined.