- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)8
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
Ian Sutherland- A full life well-lived
Ian Sutherland worked hard and played hard all his life. His death last week in a skydiving accident stunned colleagues with whom he worked and friends with whom he played. His death also left a legacy that is indeed a tribute to a full life well-lived.
Sutherland had been an assistant prosecuting attorney in Cape Girardeau County since 1988. But his legal career was preceded by an illustrious military career that began after high school. After a stint as a Green Beret in the U.S. Army, he obtained bachelor's (biology and chemistry) and master's (zoology and physiology) degrees. Then he returned to the military where he served in the Old Guard, the Army's ceremonial unit, before returning to the Special Forces and three tours of duty in Vietnam.
Once again, he returned to college and received a degree in public administration from Harvard University and a law degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia. He also authored a book on the history of the Special Forces and was scheduled to have another military book published this summer.
Those who knew Sutherland mourn not just the loss of an intelligent and capable man who set high personal goals, but also a close friend who was described again and again as having the highest principles and character.
Southerland's attributes will serve as a model for many individuals for a long time to come.