- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Space Walker Cafe - A place to eat, play
One of the best things about my job is the new people I get to eat … no, meet (Note to self: Must keep cannibalistic tendencies in check). I like going to new places, trying out the local cuisine, risking eternal heartburn.
Hey, being a restaurant profiler isn't all fajitas and margaritas. I do it for my public.
One of the new places I wanted to try is Space Walker Internet Cafe in historic downtown Cape Girardeau, and one of the new people I got to chat with is Victor Kantchev, the owner.
RA: What type of crowds does the Space Walker Cafe attract?
VK: Well, during the weekday hours we get the local business crowds. About two-thirds of them come in to eat, relax and play some LAN games. The other one-third is a to-go crowd. They want something quick, easy. They want to get in and out and back to the office.
During the evenings and weekends we get mostly a college age crowd. They like to come in to eat and drink, play games and surf the Internet. We have a big-screen TV and a comfy couch to watch the news and sporting events. On the weekends we have live music.
RA: What is one of your quick favorites on the menu? VK: The three-cheese quesadilla
RA: I like the panini sandwich myself.
VK: That also is good and versatile. You can have it with a choice of ham, turkey or roast beef, or you can have it just with the cheese and vegetables for a vegetarian dish.
RA: Your cafe decor reminds me of a young, fresh, hip interior of a dot-com company without it folding up.
VK: (laughter) Yes, we are here to stay. We are the only European-style Internet cafe and deli in town.
We definitely have a place here in Cape. We have chess tournaments here and a photography club that meets here too.
RA: So your photography studio is in the cafe?
VK: Yes, we offer a full service digital photography studio.
RA: You stay busy.
VK: It's harder to hit a moving target. (smile)
Victor still travels quite a lot to Europe and the East and West coasts. For those who remember Space Walker Cafe is in the old Hecht's Too building.