- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Rural house consumed by flames
DELTA, Mo. -- A rural Cape Girardeau County home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters responded to the scene early Wednesday morning at 14664 Highway 25.
The call for service was dispatched at 2:57 a.m. The house was unoccupied and sits about midway between Delta and Blowmeyer. Highway 25 was shut down temporarily as smoke crossed the lanes of traffic.
"There were flames coming out of all the windows when we arrived," said John Sachen of the Delta Fire Protection District. "But 85 to 90 percent of what was there when we arrived is still standing."
Delta fire chief Alvin Frank was the first on the scene. Extra tankers were called in from fire departments in Gordonville and Advance and extra personnel were requested from the Whitewater department, Sachen said.
More than 25 firefighters were on the scene and extinguished the blaze and saturated the smoldering debris with foam.
The state fire marshal's office and staff investigators from the Delta district are continuing an investigation into the cause of the fire, Sachen said. The homeowners were in the process of refurbishing the home, he said.