FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. -- A soldier from the 101st Airborne Division has been charged with murder in a grenade attack on officers' tents in Kuwait that killed two.
The charges against Sgt. Hasan K. Akbar, 32, were announced Friday afternoon. Fort Campbell officials said Akbar was charged March 25 with two counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder, under military law.
If convicted, Akbar could face the death penalty, according to Dennis Olgin, a retired judge advocate general's corps officer.
Akbar was also charged with one count each of aggravated arson of an inhabited dwelling and misbehavior as a sentinel while receiving special pay.
Akbar was returned to the United States last Friday and was being held at an undisclosed military facility.
Akbar is the only person charged in the grenade attack that killed two U.S. officers and wounded 14 other soldiers on March 23. He was transferred from Kuwait to the military detention center in Mannheim, Germany, after the attack, then to the United States.
Officials are still investigating the attack, which killed Army Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa., and Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, of Boise, Idaho.
The attack happened in the early morning hours in the command center of the 101st Division's 1st Brigade at Camp Pennsylvania. Days later, the 1st Brigade began moving into Iraq.
Fort Campbell said military defense counsel had been assigned to Akbar and that he could hire a civilian lawyer on his own. Military lawyers representing Akbar had no comment, the post said in a statement.
Akbar, a black Muslim, has been described as resentful about alleged religious and racial discrimination in the Army.