- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Verneta Emeline Martin, 85, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, March 14, 2003, at The Lutheran Home.
She was born April 19, 1917, at Commerce, Mo., daughter of William J. and Amelia A. Scherer Urhahn. She and Gregory F. Martin were married Sept. 7, 1940, at Benton, Mo. He died June 19, 1998.
Martin, a lifelong resident of the Benton area, was employed as a secretary for 40 years at Scott County clerk's office until 1979, when she retired. She was a member of St. Denis Catholic Church, Benton Senior Center, St. Anne's Sodality and the American Legion Auxiliary.
Survivors include a sister, Edvera Welter of Oran, Mo.
She was preceded in death by four brothers and two sisters.
Friends may call at Ford & Sons Funeral Home in Benton from 4 to 8 p.m. today. Parish prayers will be at 6:30 p.m. today.
Funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Denis Catholic Church, with the Rev. Normand Varone officiating. Burial will be in St. Denis Catholic Church Cemetery in Benton.