- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Hugh "Sonny" Miller, 72, of Bethalto, Ill., died Sunday, March 9, 2003, at a sister's residence in Jackson.
He was born Feb. 4, 1931, in Glenallen, Mo., the son of James and Nora Gromer Miller. He married Shelby Jean Choate in 1969, at Marble Hill, Mo. She preceded him in death on Oct. 29, 1989.
He was an MP in the U.S. Army during World War II, serving in the European Theater. After leaving the Army, he moved to St. Louis and worked in explosives for governmental agencies. He also worked at Superior Electric. He had lived in Bethalto for 25 years before moving to Jackson three months ago.
He is survived by a stepson, Kenneth McDowell of Illinois; a stepdaughter, Pam Wiley of Wood River, Ill.; two brothers, Junior Miller of Havasu City, Ariz., and Willard Leo Miller of Cape Girardeau; five sisters, Pauline Paul of Whitewater, Mo., Edith Miller of Cape Girardeau, Mary Lou Flores of Aurora, Ill., Velma Kay Sontag of Dexter, Mo., and Linda Tilley of Jackson.
He also was preceded in death by his parents and a brother.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Sprigg Street Funeral Home.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home with the Rev. Gary Brothers officiating.
Burial will be at Ellis Grove Cemetery in Ellis Grove, Ill.