- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
Affordable oil is key factor in good economy
To the editor:
Is affordable oil evil? Anti-war protesters have signs that say "No war for oil." U.S. News & World Report reported "many economists say the more efficient way to help Americans give up oil would be to do what the Europeans do: tax gasoline more heavily."
Affordable oil is a synonym for prosperity. Without affordable oil, the first thing to disappear would be transportation. Without trucks to haul goods to and from factories, there would be no jobs nor products.
Neither would there be farms providing food. Fabrics made from cheap oil would be gone. Without oil-dependent electricity, we wouldn't have air conditioning, refrigeration and a wealth of electrical appliances.
Arabs didn't have two coins to rub together until their oil was located. They became extremely wealthy by the efforts of others.
Economists who would cure our national economic distress by removing oil from our world would be fools in the biblical sense when foolish is the translation for those who do not use their minds.