Quartz light causes dorm fire

Saturday, March 8, 2003

A quartz light at Southeast Missouri State University was the cause of a fire that chased two sisters from their dorm room Friday morning, the Cape Girardeau Fire Department reported.

About 8 a.m., one of the sisters living in Building J, a part of Greek housing at the university, awoke to the smell of smoke, fire Capt. Steve Niswonger said. She awoke her sister, and both ran from the room. Neither was injured, Niswonger said.

Just as they ran out, the sprinkler system turned on and put out the fire, he said.

The sisters had placed a quartz light next to their beds with some stuffed animals. At some point during the night, the light was knocked off its stand and ignited the stuffed animals and some sheets, Niswonger said.

The room suffered some smoke and water damage but little fire damage.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: