- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Police: Cape abduction may have ties to Georgia homicide (6/18/17)5
- 3 drown in Southeast Missouri in three days (6/16/17)
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Fire destroys two greenhouses at Travelers Gazebo site in Cape (6/22/17)
Former pop singer protests U.S. actions
LONDON -- Yusuf Islam, formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens, has recorded two songs to express his opposition to a U.S.-led war on Iraq.
One song is a rerecording of his '70s hit "Peace Train." The other, "Angel of War," reworks his melancholy love song "Lady D'Arbanville."
Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the early 1970s.
He abandoned his music career in 1977 and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law.
Jack Paar released from Connecticut hospital
GREENWICH, Conn. -- Jack Paar, host of "The Tonight Show" from 1957-62, has been released from a Connecticut hospital.
Paar was released midday Thursday, said a spokesman at Greenwich Hospital, who would not disclose the nature of Paar's ailment.
USA Today reported Wednesday that Paar, 84, had suffered a stroke over the weekend.
PTA benefit includes trip to movie set
GREENWICH, Conn. -- Oscar-winning director Ron Howard has offered a day on the set of his new movie to the highest bidder.
The star-powered trip is one of hundreds of items on the block at the annual Greenwich High School PTA fund-raising auction Friday.
The winning bidder will be invited to the New Mexico set of "The Missing," starring Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett, the Greenwich Time reported.
-- From wire reports