- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Extremists have no credentials for their advice
To the editor:
Actor Mike Farrel has elected himself senior flower child, while Rush Limbaugh exhorts us to worship George Bush. Farrel proclaims death-row prisoners are victims, while Limbaugh portrays the unemployed as lazy bums. Farrel laments possible war while ignoring the acts of murderers. Limbaugh fumes over a few anti-war demonstrators and dismisses 8.5 million unemployed as irrelevant and insignificant.
What are the qualifications of these self-proclaimed experts? Do they have formal training in economics, politics, foreign relations, criminal justice or history? Are they authorities on anything other than entertainment? Do personal experiences make them experts on issues of peace and war or economic policy? Have they sought or served in an elected position? Have they experienced crime, unemployment, discrimination, war or abuse, giving them special insight? The answer to all of these questions is no.
Extremism on the left and right is dangerous, and these individuals are extremists. In reality, they are exactly alike. They are entertainers and have no special knowledge. They both crave attention and use critical issues about which they know little to promote themselves. Our protests should be against their uninformed extremism. When sick, we seek out expert advice. We should do the same on matters of peace, war and economic welfare.