- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)5
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Americans enjoy luxury at expense of many others
To the editor:
As a mother, I am increasingly concerned about where this world is headed. I used to believe Americans were intelligent and caring people. But are we really?
Can any American see give-away toys at a fast-food restaurant or cheap clothing at a discount store and not realize they were made in sweat shops? Is it possible to go to the grocery store and not think about the poor people in foreign countries who have been run off their land by the corporations that provide fruit and vegetables that we let rot on our shelves at home? And what about that trip to the gas pump these days?
People everywhere are suffering to provide Americans with undeserved luxury. Those alive today have done nothing to deserve this luxury short of being born in America. We like being consumed in materialism. It distracts us from looking down to see whom we're walking on.
It is time we educate ourselves about what is going on in the world around us and give of ourselves for the betterment of all humanity. God bless the world, not just America. It's time we shod some compassion for our fellow man. It is only by the grace of God that we were born in America and not in a hut on the other side of the world.