- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
Protesters' rights were defended by our veterans
To the editor:
Protesters have every right to protest against war. That right was given to them by veterans. Many died. Some were disabled. Many families suffered. Unlike the people of Iraq, protesters have a choice and a vote. When they are protesting, they are not supporting our military troops, which are serving not because of the draft, but because they chose to protect and serve our country.
I do not want more bloodshed. This war against terrorism will not be started by President Bush. It was started in 1991 and was not finished. The big wake-up call occurred Sept. 11, 2001. The United States stopped Hitler. Our modern-day Hitlers are Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. They must be stopped. I do not need to have my country attacked again to realize these insane men will stop at nothing to destroy our security and peace. I do not want my grandchildren living in fear of their lives. I have a daughter and son-in-law in the U.S. Air Force. I realize they are in harm's way. But aren't all Americans if these madmen are not stopped?
To those who support our troops, thank you. There will be a support-our-troops program at the Cape Girardeau VFW on March 15. Join us in letting our military know we are behind them.
To our veterans I say thank you for all you sacrificed so we may enjoy the freedoms we so often take for granted.