- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)9
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Judge hears Mosby's formerly suppressed confession at Robinson hearing (8/9/17)
- $34 million student housing project on schedule, developer says (8/14/17)2
Protesters' rights were defended by our veterans
To the editor:
Protesters have every right to protest against war. That right was given to them by veterans. Many died. Some were disabled. Many families suffered. Unlike the people of Iraq, protesters have a choice and a vote. When they are protesting, they are not supporting our military troops, which are serving not because of the draft, but because they chose to protect and serve our country.
I do not want more bloodshed. This war against terrorism will not be started by President Bush. It was started in 1991 and was not finished. The big wake-up call occurred Sept. 11, 2001. The United States stopped Hitler. Our modern-day Hitlers are Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. They must be stopped. I do not need to have my country attacked again to realize these insane men will stop at nothing to destroy our security and peace. I do not want my grandchildren living in fear of their lives. I have a daughter and son-in-law in the U.S. Air Force. I realize they are in harm's way. But aren't all Americans if these madmen are not stopped?
To those who support our troops, thank you. There will be a support-our-troops program at the Cape Girardeau VFW on March 15. Join us in letting our military know we are behind them.
To our veterans I say thank you for all you sacrificed so we may enjoy the freedoms we so often take for granted.