- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Man sentenced for animal abuse
HILLSBORO, Mo. -- A St. Louis area man has been sentenced to four months in the Jefferson County jail after pleading guilty to of misdemeanor animal abuse in the deaths of four horses.
In exchange for the plea, felony animal abuse charges on Thursday were dropped against Michael Chiorttino, 43, of Kirkwood.
He was arrested a year ago after animal rescue crews discovered four dead horses on his farm near House Springs. Four other horses suffered from severe malnutrition.
Authorities said at the time that the hourses' only water source was a small pond that had frozen just before the animals were discovered.