- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Man sentenced for animal abuse
HILLSBORO, Mo. -- A St. Louis area man has been sentenced to four months in the Jefferson County jail after pleading guilty to of misdemeanor animal abuse in the deaths of four horses.
In exchange for the plea, felony animal abuse charges on Thursday were dropped against Michael Chiorttino, 43, of Kirkwood.
He was arrested a year ago after animal rescue crews discovered four dead horses on his farm near House Springs. Four other horses suffered from severe malnutrition.
Authorities said at the time that the hourses' only water source was a small pond that had frozen just before the animals were discovered.