- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Mardi Gras parades cancelled by storms
NEW ORLEANS -- Rain and the threat of severe storms forced postponement of three Mardi Gras parades on what was to have been the first night of major Carnival processions in New Orleans.
Friday's Krewe of Cleopatra's parade was rescheduled for this afternoon, when clear skies are expected. The Oshun and Pygmalion parades were rescheduled for Monday night.
The annual pre-Lenten Carnival season celebrated along the Gulf Coast begins each year on Jan. 6 and culminates on Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, the final day of celebration before Ash Wednesday.
Mardi Gras falls on March 4 this year, and in New Orleans -- home to the nation's best-known Mardi Gras celebration -- the major parades start rolling two weekends before the big day.
Several parades in New Orleans suburbs and neighboring cities also were put off, including the Hercules parade in Houma, also delayed until Monday.
Torrential rains hit much of Louisiana early Friday and continued on and off throughout the day, causing street flooding and hazardous driving conditions.
South Louisiana was under a tornado watch Friday afternoon and some areas also were under flash flood watches. Forecasters expecgted the worst weather late Friday, with rain diminishing early Saturday morning and skies clearing by afternoon.