10 years ago: Feb. 19, 1993
State grant program has enabled city since 1982 to make almost $3 million in improvements to blighted sections of Cape Girardeau, including housing renovations and street and sewer repairs.
Fruitland Area Fire Department has purchased fire engine to replace one demolished in accident last November at New Wells; pumper truck is expected to be delivered in early March after additional modifications are made to storage compartments.
25 years ago: Feb. 19, 1978
Cape Girardeau police patrolman C. Daniel Niswonger was recently presented policeman of year award of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3838 and Ladies Auxiliary; he has been a member of the force since 1976.
Three fine scarabs, at least one of them certainly royal, and two carved "jewels" will be on public display perhaps for the only time beginning next Sunday when Dennis Collection of Egyptian Antiquities has its second showing.
50 years ago: Feb. 19, 1953
Start of program to rehabilitate Smelterville was proposed by representatives of Cape Girardeau Council of Women's Clubs at meeting of city council Wednesday; Laura St. Ann Keller and Mrs. Jeptha Riggs approached say Smelterville section has been studied by organization and is urging council to make immediate and definite effort to improve streets in Smelterville as first step in its rehabilitation; women's council is made up of 18 clubs with 800 members.
Oran -- Opening basketball game of newly constructed high school gymnasium at Oran will be played tomorrow night, with Oran Eagles taking on St. Mary's High team of Cape Girardeau; built with proceeds of $75,000 bond issue, gym also provides auditorium facilities; it seats from 1,200 to 1,500 people, has six dressing rooms and has basketball court measuring 50 by 84 feet.
75 years ago: Feb. 19, 1928
Plans for building additional Sunday school rooms to Red Star Baptist Church are under discussion; committee of five men has been appointed to investigate plans for building, to inquire into necessary cost, and to make recommendation to church membership; tentative plans provide for enlarging auditorium and providing additional Sunday szchool room.
Third Methodist Church has been given new name: Third Street Methodist Church; Third Street, on which building is located, is being opened as thoroughfare and soon will be in general use; church is at corner of Third and North Chestnut; pastor is the Rev. H.L. Taylor.
-- Sharon K. Sanders