- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Forsee - Sprint offers opportunity worth pursuing
To the editor:
In response to the story "Sprint's CEO pick keeps long-distance link to Cape Girardeau":
When we moved to Cape Girardeau in 1966, it was pretty incredible to get befriended by so many folks who really didn't have to do that, and for that I will always think about those friends in a special way. I could end up tomorrow afternoon at the Pilot House or the Palladium with Pat Godwin, Jay Sheets, Mike Bristow, Walter Lamkin, Steve Miesner, John Rigdon and many others, and it would be like being home even though the time we see each other or talk gets reduced to e-mails or an occasional phone call or a surprise drop-in visit. The stories with that particular group are legendary -- or so we remember, and we all contributed.
Cape Girardeau was for us, growing up then, a special place as I'm sure it is for those who make it their home today. After 30 years and 16 moves, the Sprint opportunity was something totally unexpected but an opportunity I couldn't take a chance on not pursuing.
The combination of the professional opportunity to lead a company I had a small role in helping to build during the 1990s along with the personal opportunity to return to Missouri is unique. Our two daughters are both in Missouri. My younger brother David -- CHS 1974 -- is also in Kansas City. So I think I had plenty of reasons to be excited about the potential Sprint opportunity.