- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Victims of alleged Ponzi scheme seek compensation from killer's victims (8/21/16)3
- Cape Central football team falls to state-ranked Liberty in Pixley's debut (8/20/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
Letter writers give information that's inaccurate
To the editor:
I must point out factual inaccuracies in three letters on Wednesday's Opinion page.
Jim Maginel incorrectly states that "evidence strongly suggests that President Bush is acting out of greed for Iraqi oil." If Bush were acting out of greed, he would be looking for a diplomatic solution that would protect Iraq's oil fields. Going to war would result in the decimation of the oil fields by Saddam Hussein.
Adam Cox is inaccurate by stating that the government is "speaking of ideas" concerning a "pre-emptive" strike or an "independent war." Both ideas are ludicrous. Bush has said repeatedly that it is a "coalition of the willing" which includes a long list of countries such as Britain, Australia and Italy. It would not be a pre-emptive strike. It would be a resumption of hostilities by Iraq, which did not abide by the terms of disarmament.
Dennis Taylor was factually inaccurate when he said we were busy lynching blacks while fighting Hitler's regime. When did FDR authorize such lynchings? It was a few ugly racists who did that. Taylor also states that Bush has been "let off the hook" by all the terrorism attention. President Clinton did absolutely nothing in response to the numerous terrorist attacks prior to Sept. 11, 2001. Any response he made was an effort to draw attention away from his extramarital activities.
I urge us to support our president instead of making incorrect allegations against him.