- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)5
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)46
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)5
Cape veteran will finally get Bronze Star
Thanks to a golf game a couple of years ago, two World War II veterans from Cape Girardeau discovered they had a lot in common, including being awarded the Bronze Star.
John Dragoni Sr. received his medal during the war, but Kenneth Bender didn't get his before he was shipped home at the end of the war.
Thanks to a casual conversation during the golf game and a list of Bronze Star winners, Dragoni was able to put two and two together. As a result, Bender will get his Bronze Star and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater Campaign Medal during ceremonies next week at a Veterans of Foreign Wars ceremony.
This is a tale of coincidence that truly has a happy ending.