- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)1
Cape veteran will finally get Bronze Star
Thanks to a golf game a couple of years ago, two World War II veterans from Cape Girardeau discovered they had a lot in common, including being awarded the Bronze Star.
John Dragoni Sr. received his medal during the war, but Kenneth Bender didn't get his before he was shipped home at the end of the war.
Thanks to a casual conversation during the golf game and a list of Bronze Star winners, Dragoni was able to put two and two together. As a result, Bender will get his Bronze Star and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater Campaign Medal during ceremonies next week at a Veterans of Foreign Wars ceremony.
This is a tale of coincidence that truly has a happy ending.