- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Fire destroys two greenhouses at Travelers Gazebo site in Cape (6/22/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)
Cape veteran will finally get Bronze Star
Thanks to a golf game a couple of years ago, two World War II veterans from Cape Girardeau discovered they had a lot in common, including being awarded the Bronze Star.
John Dragoni Sr. received his medal during the war, but Kenneth Bender didn't get his before he was shipped home at the end of the war.
Thanks to a casual conversation during the golf game and a list of Bronze Star winners, Dragoni was able to put two and two together. As a result, Bender will get his Bronze Star and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater Campaign Medal during ceremonies next week at a Veterans of Foreign Wars ceremony.
This is a tale of coincidence that truly has a happy ending.