- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
Cape veteran will finally get Bronze Star
Thanks to a golf game a couple of years ago, two World War II veterans from Cape Girardeau discovered they had a lot in common, including being awarded the Bronze Star.
John Dragoni Sr. received his medal during the war, but Kenneth Bender didn't get his before he was shipped home at the end of the war.
Thanks to a casual conversation during the golf game and a list of Bronze Star winners, Dragoni was able to put two and two together. As a result, Bender will get his Bronze Star and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater Campaign Medal during ceremonies next week at a Veterans of Foreign Wars ceremony.
This is a tale of coincidence that truly has a happy ending.