- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Marcella B. Layton, 83, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, Jan. 31, 2003, at the Lutheran Home.
She was born May 26, 1919, in Morrisonville, Ill., daughter of Herman Elmer and Mary Brockamp Todt. She and John Anthony Layton were married June 1, 1939, at Sikeston, Mo. He died Aug. 17, 1987.
Layton had been a salesperson at Norton Shoe, JCPenney, LaPetite Shop, and a clerk at Associated Natural Gas Co. She was a member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Sikeston, Mo., and its Daughters of Isabella and Altar Society.
Survivors include a son, John Layton of Cape Girardeau; three daughters, Mary Sandvos and Anita Ballard of Sikeston, Patti Obermark of Memphis, Tenn.; 11 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a brother and a sister.
Friends may call at Blanchard Funeral Chapel in Sikeston from 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday. A prayer service will be held at 7.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at St. Francis Xavier Church. Monsignor Richard Rolwing and the Rev. Stephen Schneider will officiate. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery at Sikeston.