Pictures of the Past #87
G.D. Fronabarger left the Missourian boxes and boxes of negatives. What he didn't leave were IDs for them. Pictures of the Past features some of Frony's images we've partially identified. We're hoping you can help fill in the blanks. Contact librarian Sharon Sanders at email@example.com, if you recognize a place or a face. Mystery Galleries may still be viewed on our History Page, http://www.semissourian.com/history/
A man operating a dragline works to fill a Maquette Cement Mfg. Co. truck with rock at Marquette's quarry in South Cape Girardeau.
Does anyone remember when Cape Girardeau was "The Beacon City"?
Empty chairs were waiting to be filled at the Cape Girardeau Municipal Airport in the 1960s.
Southeast Missourian, Oct. 11, 1957
It's round-up time in the Chamber of Commerce, and this "maverick," Harry Siemers, just recently a member, is "branded" with the C-bar-C brand by President Howard Boyd. In a one-day campaign next week, other "mavericks," now non-members of the Chamber, will be urged to join the organziation. Participating in this realistic branding of Mr. Siemers, with smoke pouring from a searing skin, are some members of the round-up crew. From left are manager Phil Kearney, Mr. Boyd, Wendell Black, leader of one of the membership teams; Mr. Siemers, Francis Lewis, membership drive chairman, and Luther Hahs, Chamber vice president and a team captain. (Photo by G.D. Fronabarger)
Can you supply the names of any of these ladies examining this farm scene? Charlie Herbst wrote: "The lady on the left is my grandma, Viola Dannenmueller. She was very active in 4H and the Missouri Extension Council. Possibly at the SEMO Fair?"
This picture, published July 19, 1951, is looking north on Spanish Street towards the Independence Street intersection, shows how water had backed up to the front of the Midwest plant and the Union Bus Center. A sandbag levee at the dairy plant was a precautionary measure to protect the foundation of the building. (Missourian archive photo by G.D. "Frony" Fronabarger)
Nov 16, 1961 Southeast Missourian.
This face painted on a gourd is called “The Old Man” by the artist, Robert Coffee, a senior at Central High School. He often works at Northland Hills orchard of Cape Girardeau. (G.D. Fronabarger/Southeast Missourian archive)
Oct. 7, 1961 Southeast Missourian.
The new approach to mathematics—a radical departure from the algebra, geometry, trig, etc. mom and dad learned—is studied here by members of a geometry class taught by Miss Grace Williams, right, at Central High. Looking at the projection on screen are, standing, from left, Bunny Blue, Sharon Stiver, Steve Folsom and Janice House. Seated is Donald Beard.
(G.D. Fronabarger/Southeast Missourian archive)
The new math program at Central launched three years ago. It is hoped the program will teach four years of math in three years time. About half the students at the start of ninth grade are entered in the program, while the other half takes the conventional approach to the subject.
Included in the program is algebra and geometry in the first two years and trigonometry in the third year, where normally trig is taught in the fourth. The program is still so new that texts are not yet available. Being used are mimeographed sheets bound together in book form.