Published March 15, 1978.
In the past, these three men have tied on many aprons to assist the Cape Girardeau Lions Club annual Pancake Day celebrating its 40th anniversary today at the Arena Building, Arena Park. From the left, Oscar Hirsch, a charter member of the club; William F. Oehler, who came to Cape Girardeau in 1938, was proposed for membership in the club by the late Fred Springer, father of this year's Pancake Day chairman, Fred Springer Jr.; and Jack Himmelberger, who has been assisting since he became a member in 1941. (Southeast Missourian archive)
Published March 19, 1993.
Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department employees John Penrose, left, and Mike Dumey build the backrest of the bleachers at Capaha Park Thursday morning. The Cape Girardeau Kiwanis Club originally built the bleachers and have donated the funds for the lumber. Labor to build the bleachers is being provided by the City Parks and Recreation Department. The bleachers are expected to be completed in about one week. (Don Shrubshell ~ Southeast Missourian archive)
Published March 12, 1978.
The giant bunny that Judy Wilferth, left, owner of Children's Bazaar, and Lauchette Low, manager of the Town Plaza store, are admiring won't be sporting an Easter bonnet, but little girls will. Bonnets shown at Children's Bazaar, both at its Town Plaza and North Main street locations, include eyelet caps, lace-trimmed hats and bonnets bedecked in ribbons. (Southeast Missourian archive)
Published March 17, 1993.
Mary Burton, right, executive director of the local American Red Cross, delivers a goat to Jim Limbaugh, center, president of Boatmen's Bank, prior to the agency's "Got Your Goat" fund-raising campaign that will be held Thursday. Larry Essner, left, Red Cross board member, took responsibility for the goat delivery. With a donation of $10, volunteers will take a goat to anyone, who will then pay $10 for its removal. (Fred Lynch ~ Southeast Missourian archive)
Published March 14, 1993.
Don McGill, vice president and sales manager for Admiral Plastics, a General Sign Company, 680 Nash Rd., left, and Allen Simmons, neon tube bender for General Sign Co., display one of five neon signs that the Cape Girardeau firm is preparing for Busch Stadium in the Diamond Suites. The five color neon and argon gas signs each take about 25 hours to make. (Don Shrubshell ~ Southeast Missourian archive)
Published March 31, 1993.
Four more bullet-proof vests have been purchased for the Cape Girardeau Police Department in honor of Doctor's Day with funds donated by Southeast Hospital and Saint Francis Medical Center. Each hospital donated $900. From left are Jim Wente, Southeast administrator; Randy Stahly, secretary of medical staff at Southeast; Patrolman Charles Herbst, president of the Cape Girardeau Regional Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 33; Stanley Sides, chief of staff at Saint Francis, and John Fidler, president of Saint Francis. (Don Shrubshell ~ Southeast MIssourian archive)
The Erlbacher Building, 1105 Broadway, is one of two neighboring structures built by Eddie Erlbacher. According to the Feb. 1, 1958 edition of the Southeast Missourian, this building was first occupied by Edgewater Motors, Inc. which sold Edsel and Renault automobiles. It currently is occupied by El Sol restaurant. (G.D. Fronabarger ~ Southeast Missourian archive) Read more about the building in this blog: www.semissourian.com/blogs/flynch/entry/34329