A collection of photos from the Cape Girardeau Fire Department's first 100 years.
Pictured are members of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department. Barney Kraft (center of the picture standing) had been appointed Chief during the re-organization of the Department on May 5, 1909. First Assistant Chief was Charles Hahn and the Second Assistant Chief was Leon Albert. The dapple gray team of horses was purchased in St. Louis for $400 by Aldermen Alex Vasterling and Joe Wilson, hence their names Joe and Alex. They were trained by Leland Albert and were first hitched to the wagon May 25, 1909. They responded to their first call June 7, 1909.