Speak Out: OK it getting boring. We have the monkeys running the zoo.

Posted by voyager on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 11:01 AM:

Obama reminds me of a street hustler with a good line of palaver. In other words, a teleprompter enabled con man.

In November We Remember.

Replies (13)

• Well admittedly I've been patient with Obama to this point, but after reading an article that Obama is going to set a record deficit he'd really better have his ducks in a row.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35178623/ns/politics-white_house

If we can really improve the unemployment situation instead of just giving out extended benefits, it may be somewhat justified seeing as how a decrease in tax revenue because of unemployment is a major factor right now. But he really needs to work harder at trimming the deficit in other areas, instead of adding to it, no matter what the situation.

Geez, what great lessons from the government on spending more money than you make. No wonder no one saves these days. But then again no one else can print as much money as they want either.

It reminds me of playing a video game and entering a cheat code to get more money.

-- Posted by almighty on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 11:44 AM
  • As has been said before ... down through the decades (centuries?) ... our government was not meant to 'take care' of all of us.

James ... You'd know ... Was the military just about the only thing the government was meant to actually support?

Have we, in essence, allowed ourselves to be chained to our government, dependent upon it for so many various things?

Does anyone know how many departments there are in the federal system now?

Unemployment problems? Hmm, maybe the remaining TARP money could be distributed to each American ... Spending a million dollars each might boost a lot of things in our economy?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 4:26 PM
  • I'm waiting for the day a politician suggests everyone who makes over $100k a year has to forfeit the rest of their earnings so everyone can make $100k. The sad thing is they would probably get elected.

Good point gurusmom about how govt is not supposed to take care of all of us. But another point, lately all of the talk has been about tax credits this tax credits that blah blah blah. In the end no one really knows how some of these stupid tax credits make an impact and we probably lose money on the deal.

My new aim is to create a new political party, the Simplests. My first goal; throw out current tax code to abolish these stupid and non-essential tax credits and make taxes a simple rate based on income, family members, and educational needs without the other crap. No tax credits for buying energy efficient windows, cars, etc. In this scenario, we reduce government spending by significantly reducing the IRS staff. Sure it'll create a little unemployment burst but better in the long run.

Second, honoring the fundamental concept of don't spend more than you make. Someone has to do it.

Third, reduce the House to about 300 members. Again, reduces staffing costs and promotes faster decision making.

Fourthly, if Congress is stalled in a long debate, have them drink a glass of whiskey every ten minutes so everything comes out and settlements can be made. Or if one party passes out before the other, the ones left standing win.

And finally, blame what doesn't work for me on previous administrations.

-- Posted by almighty on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 6:15 PM
  • What is the origin of the lie that Bush-bomb-a is cutting the defence budget?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 8:57 PM
  • Ike, I like the way you have mastered the art of stauch disagreement in a gentlemanly way. I do not know the facts of military cuts during that administration but I think I remember a lot of controversey over military base closings.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 9:43 PM
  • This country aint been right since Hary Truman was there in the white house/

-- Posted by Rose Petal on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 11:24 PM
  • Kind of what I was thinking, Wiffle ... Money in the hands of 'the people' would surely do more good for our economy than money in the hands of ... government, where 'experts' estimate how much good it could do in the hands of ... well, not the people exactly.

I thought last night I read that there is over $300 billion left in TARP ... What's already been given out hasn't made an awful lot of difference. But in the hands of 300 million individuals, it certainly seems to me that spending it would have to boost many businesses ... construction, manufacturing (clothing, cars, appliances) ... heck, even health care.

But then, we might consider that there are those with what might be called a 'welfare mentality,' in which case perhaps a generous windfall of dollars for each American would stop production, because many would not see the value of actually working ...

But I really do like the idea of funding higher education ... with the cost of it so exorbitant now that graduates come out of college in more debt than should be acceptable.

So ... guess we might as well let those funds be pretty much wasted just as the initial funds were.

Okay, almighty ... your new party has has my vote already! A 'flat tax' ... under-control spending ... fewer political positions (less politicians to keep screwing things up with their brilliant ideas!) ... Of course, the Blame Game is old hat, so no one would have to learn a new game, right? Thanks for the smiles!

Back to the basics, the constitution ... what a unique idea, James!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Feb 1, 2010, at 11:37 PM
  • We haven't had a truly great president since Chester A. Arthur although Millard Fillmore is looking more attractive all the time.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Feb 2, 2010, at 3:17 AM
  • Let's think about this for a minute. If everyone in the US was given $100k what would happen? Outrageous spending on foolish things? Socking it all away? Some of both? Paying off personal debt?

Foolish spending. This would cause rapid inflation. Not a good thing.

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Tue, Feb 2, 2010, at 8:33 AM
  • Scarcity creates value. Value creates desire. Desire creates trouble in Wonderland.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Feb 2, 2010, at 10:40 AM
  • Wiffle, You mentioned car repair. You and I rembember when a someone with a born talent sharpened with experience could raise the hood, listen and know what was wrong and fix it. Today the make up of a good automotive technician involves as much education as many jobs that require letters after the name. And if he uses his skills to outwit the complicated systems of today for the price of a pizza he is paid and forgotten. If he not he is despised as a crook or idiot. Emmit's fix it shop is no longer.

I do however wonder why local schools can't offer a vocational program or college study past 12 years. As you point out, and was expounded on by Mike Rowe's visit to Cape, there is honor and good wages in skilled manual labor.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Feb 2, 2010, at 7:52 PM
  • Look at what a HVAC guy charges now. That is not something you learn at SEMO.

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Tue, Feb 2, 2010, at 9:15 PM

Wiff don't be picking on those poor HVAC guys... they are worth every penny and more. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 9:44 AM
  • Wiff,

Seriously, I agree with you on the skilled part. Not every student is college material and some need to be practical and learn a trade that will support them.

And I might add a trade that cannot be duplicated in a factory overseas by child labor. A lot of the problems with loosing our jobs to cheaper overseas competition, we do not support one another. And by that I do not mean union involvement in every job. There are far too many pickup trucks with Union bumper stickers in Walmart's parking lots buying that cheap Chinese junk they sell. If these people really believed in their own philosophies they would be somewhere buying American made products. And eating American grown foods when they can.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 10:02 AM

Respond to this thread