Speak Out: Saw this coming

Posted by rocknroll on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 6:29 PM:

The Environmental Protection Agency has its eyes on pollution from backyard barbecues.

The agency announced that it is funding a University of California project to limit emissions resulting in grease drippings with a special tray to catch them and a "catalytic" filtration system.

The $15,000 project has the "potential for global application," said the school.

The school said that the technology they will study with the EPA grant is intended to reduce air pollution and cut the health hazards to BBQ "pit masters" from propane-fueled cookers.

Charged with keeping America's air, water and soil clean, the EPA has been increasingly looking at homeowners, especially their use of pollution emitting tools like lawn mowers.

The school is proposing two fixes to reduce emissions from barbecues. First, they want to cut back on grease flare-ups. The idea: "A slotted and corrugated tray is inserted immediately prior to meat flipping, and removed immediately after. This short contact time prevents the tray from over-heating and volatilizing the collected grease. This collected grease will then drip off into a collection tray and can be used at the pit master's discretion."

But, total capture isn't "practical," so a filter and fan are proposed for installation. "The secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method. This system can be powered by either an exterior electric motor with a chain-driven drive shaft, directly spinning the fan blade, or a hand-powered crank," said the project write-up.

The grant is part of the EPA's "National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet (2014)."

The expected results, according to the proposal:

"We expect to limit the overall air pollution PM [particulate matter] emissions from barbecuing and to alleviate some of the acute health hazards that a barbecue pit master can experience from inhalation. The particulate matter present during cooking with and without the grease diverter and PM2.5 filters will be tested and compared to that of current data using a conventional propane barbecue using a fumehood chamber with detectors at CE-CERT. Personal exposure of PM2.5 will also be monitored throughout the experimentation period to determine the degree of acute exposure of particulates to the cook."

Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner

Replies (11)

• So collect the drippings and use them to make the charcoal light faster?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to add another propane fueled fire to super heat the smoke before it goes through the catalytic converter. We could see exhaust fuel next to the charcoal display.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 6:37 PM
  • The EPA has too much time on it's hands.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 7:17 PM
  • So what's one of these new fangled BBQ pits gonna set me back? Couple of grand or so?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 8:36 PM
  • Prob,FFF. I have a fairly new gas grill that was about $250. Not a Cadillac,but nice. Look that to double. That plate they're trying out would be the first thing to take out and throw in the trash. Kinda like those micro switches on riding lawn mowers. It's Nice for a quick steak. I would rather use lump charcoal in my Weber or my own hickory in the smoker,tho. Surprised the EPA eggheads may go after gas grills instead of charcoal. #~,see that coming ,too.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 8:47 PM
  • $15,000 was not near enough of a study, triple the amount and let's see the Mighty EPA roar.

-- Posted by semo471 on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 8:53 PM
  • The EPA needs to keep it's hands off of my meat.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 9:36 PM
  • They are after wood burning stoves too. Someone, I think said "Energy prices under my plan will rise".

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 9:53 PM
  • IMO, more pollution from farmers across the USA burning wheat fields than wood burning stoves.

-- Posted by semo471 on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 10:04 PM
  • Majority of pollution comes from politician's mouths.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Mar 16, 2015, at 10:17 PM
  • Now the EPA is going to study the time it takes you to shower...And the "liberals" say they don't regulate things. :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Mar 17, 2015, at 1:13 PM
  • BS: I'm liberal and I never said they don't regulate things. Some of their regs are just like your initials...BS. So, by the way, I do like clean air and water and think they should keep an eye out for chemical discharges in inappropriate places (waterways). Some regs are great, others are terrible.

-- Posted by left turn on Tue, Mar 17, 2015, at 3:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: