Speak Out: Get a bucket of lard before you're snowed in ?

Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 2:42 PM:

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/02/12/surprise-government-has-been-wrong-about-c...

The nation's top nutrition advisory panel has decided to drop its caution about eating cholesterol-laden food, a move that could undo almost 40 years of government warnings about its consumption.

The group's finding that cholesterol in the diet need no longer be considered a "nutrient of concern" stands in contrast to the committee's findings five years ago, the last time it convened. During those proceedings, as in previous years, the panel deemed the issue of excess cholesterol in the American diet a public health concern.

Replies (13)

• Or not, but I suspect pork fat is no worse than all the stuff on the label I can't pronounce. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 2:44 PM
  • I saw that OJ. We all know that family member who lived to be 90 and had bacon grease dripping down their chin every morning.

I believe even the Doctor who created the "pyramid" of what should be eaten said that they got it wrong - the pyramid should be turned upside down.

Also heard that butter is actually better for you than margarine. All of these stories and research I read in the past year. Hmmm.... and Michelle wants to limit what kids can eat in school.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 2:45 PM
  • Dug, Might be time to deep fry a couple of weather ground hogs in hog lard; could be tasty on a snowy day. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 3:18 PM
  • Went on a lo carb diet and lost a bunch of weight. Lots of meats and greens and some select 'good carbs',lots of farm eggs. Went to real butter,too. Never a thought about fat content and my cholesterol and BP both went down.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 3:25 PM
  • RNR - I've heard that about the low carb diets too.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 4:50 PM
  • I quit paying attention to what the government had to say about food values so many years ago I cannot remember. I eat real butter and anything else I feel like. I believe your body tells you what to quit eating. My stomach bothers me when I eat ice berg lettuce.... so I don't eat ice berg lettuce. Romaine does not bother me.

I do not have high blood pressure and take no pills for it.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 5:05 PM
  • Rock, The more healthy stuff you eat, the more room you got for stuff that tastes good.

One web site I saw lists the ten top cholesterol lowering foods. Among them was Beans, Salmon, Garlic, Spinach, Nuts, Tea, and Dark chocolate. All are in my definition of good eats.

I was disappointed that a Pork chop in every can or off the grille wasn't among the top ten.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 5:32 PM
  • I have a few teacher relatives and to a person they say they have never seen so much food being uneaten and thrown away.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 6:05 PM
  • Wonder if the White House chef serves pork chops and stuff I would like.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 6:24 PM
  • Wonder if the White House chef serves pork chops and stuff I would like.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 6:24 PM

Why Old John? You planning on running your wife against Hilary?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 6:26 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 6:24 PM

OJ: The White House chef doesn't prepare any pork because Muslims don't eat Pork.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 7:28 PM
  • semo, I don't know that to be true but it is believable. From what I have read, money is no object in pleasing a president's palate.

I read about a charity to feed the poor in D.C. born on the amount of food before wasted as leftovers from State dinners and politic fundraising events.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 7:57 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 7:57 PM

OJ: One only has to go to a buffet to see the amount of food wasted.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Feb 15, 2015, at 8:25 PM

Respond to this thread