Speak Out: California and Guns

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 8:01 AM:

California Just Made It Easier For Bad Guys To Get Guns

By Brian Anderson, November 7, 2014.

California just decriminalized gun theft, making it easier for bad guys to get their hands on firearms and to avoid criminal prosecution. I know it sounds ridiculous considering that the Golden State has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation, but that's how gun control works; punish the law abiding while rewarding the criminals.

Prop 47, a ballot initiative to reduce "non-serious" felonies to misdemeanors, passed last Tuesday with a 58% voter approval. In addition to making most drug possession a non-arrestable offense, the ill conceived law also decriminalizes all property crimes with theft values under $950 including, specifically, gun theft.

Going forward in California, anyone found in possession of a stolen firearm will be issued a ticket and sent on their merry way. Likewise, anyone caught stealing a gun, so long as it is valued at $950 or less, would get a slap on the wrist. Presumably, the stolen firearm would be confiscated, but that is not explicitly stated so, who knows?

But hey, don't take my word for it. Check out what the Sacramento County Sheriff's department put on its FaceBook page:

Effective immediately, the passage of Proposition 47 will have the following effects on the custody and policing practices of the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department:

1. In most instances, many crimes that were previously "arrestable" as a felony will now only be "citable" as a misdemeanor. That means they may not be booked into jail but rather given a citation (similar to a traffic ticket) with a court date to appear, and released in the field. They will not be held pending trial. Such felony crimes that are now misdemeanors include:

* Commercial burglary (theft under $950)

* Forgery and bad checks (under $950 value)

* Theft of most firearms

* Theft of a vehicle (under $950 value)

* Possession of stolen property (under $950 value)

* Possession of heroin, cocaine, illegal prescriptions, concentrated cannabis, and methamphetamine

With gun theft and possession of a stolen firearm now equal to making an illegal left turn, criminals will be empowered to steal and pack heat. If they get busted; so what? Worst-case scenario, they're out one firearm that they didn't pay for in the first place and they'll have to pay a fine that they will ignore.

Let's put this into perspective. California has laws regulating the type of weapons that may be owned, how those weapons must be stored, and how those weapons may be transported. Violating these laws could, and likely would, result in a felony conviction, confiscation of firearms, and a surrender of gun ownership rights. An otherwise law abiding person could be headed to jail for simple ignorance of California's complicated and contradictory gun laws. On the flip side of that coin, a scumbag with a rap sheet a mile long can now get busted with a stolen firearm and never face any serious justice.

Taking it a step further: a law abiding citizen carrying a legally-owned firearm not in accordance with California's unconstitutional gun laws is now a bigger criminal than a ******* gangbanger, banned by law from possessing a firearm, who gets busted carrying a stolen gun.

Gun grabbers claim they want to keep the guns out of the hands of bad guys and that "commonsense" gun control will make everyone safer. As you can see, the opposite is true, at least in California. The good guys have almost no rights to protect themselves while the criminals have almost no law to stop them.

I wonder if the morons that voted for Prop 47 realize how much less safe they just made themselves. In addition to decriminalizing theft and illegal gun possession, the law will dump tens of thousands of hardcore criminals on the street who are currently serving time for the crimes that have been reduced. Way to go, Cali!

(End B.A. story)

........................................................................................................

California's on top of it. Goodbye gun crime. Wnen Cali reports next years crime stats, they'll claim gun felonies down a huge percent, never mentioning that there is still just as much gun crime, it's just no longer a felony. Gun grabbers and the media will rejoice and demand the rest of the country to follow California's lead.

FFF

Replies (18)

• Wow...I simply have no words for this, no words.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 8:19 AM
  • They are of course going to enforce a strong background check before you can steal a gun..... aren't they?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 8:39 AM
  • Do you think reasoning is going to move to California?

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 8:53 AM
  • BS

One can only hope.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 9:18 AM
  • Only deterrent to to illegal gun ownership left in California would be if the gun owner catches a perp in the attempted theft and blows his sorry behind away.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 9:23 AM
  • So you can steal up to $950 with no criminal prosecution? Michael Brown could have gotten those cigars for free. Several times over.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 9:50 AM
  • I don't what the dollar amount is in Missouri before an act of theft becomes a felony. At one time I think it was $650.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 10:20 AM

BC, just a few years ago it was $500.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 11:08 AM
  • California government joing in on the gun theft fun.

.............................................................................................................................

California Begins Confiscating Legally-Purchased Guns

By Travis Melvin, August 23, 2013.

It is not surprising that the first police raids to take legally-purchased firearms from citizens are in California. Until recently, the state had the strictest gun control laws and the liberal run state government has always looked unfavorably on the Second Amendment.

Earlier this year, the state legislature expanded the list of what they call "prohibited persons" -- people who have legally registered a firearm but, for various reasons, are no longer allowed their Second Amendment rights. These reasons were expanded to include people who are behind on state taxes, did not pay toll fees in a "timely" manner and a wide range of other minor misdemeanors or reported mental health concerns.

In preparation for the crackdown, the state authorized $24 million to hire additional officers to track down 20,000 people on the list. One person on this list was Joe Mendez.

A police officer came to the door and lured Mendez out of his house with a story of a hit and run report. Once outside, he had M16s pointed within inches of his face, was taken into custody and had all weapons removed from his house.

It is important to remember that these were legally- purchased and registered firearms. That gets to the other issue about this initiative.

This case demonstrates what registration lists really are. They are tools to allow police to confiscate weapons. And, all they have to do in California is come up with a reason you should be on the prohibited persons list; a list that is continuously expanding in its scope and definition.

California gun owners beware: your firearms and rights are being confiscated by your liberal politicians.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 4:28 PM
  • I bet Reasoning is going nuts trying to find a different story. Glad Cali is far away.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Nov 8, 2014, at 8:10 PM
  • Does anyone besides me not give a crap about what goes on in CA?

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 11:59 AM
  • Does anyone besides me not give a crap about what goes on in CA?

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 11:59 AM

Lefty, I agree with you, sort of. The problem is, that type of stuff will start creeping into other states. Kind of like when "liberals" leave places like New York or California because of high taxes and regulations. But then turn around and vote for the same crap that they left their previous state for.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 12:48 PM
  • BonScott, I kind of see what you mean. It's like all the people who voted no on amendment 3 and flipped the ballot over and voted for the repubs who supported it and it's creator Rex Sinquefield.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 4:09 PM
  • BonScott, I kind of see what you mean. It's like all the people who voted no on amendment 3 and flipped the ballot over and voted for the repubs who supported it and it's creator Rex Sinquefield.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 4:09 PM

Lefty, here I was trying to be civil, and then you come with the Rex Sinquefield garbage. Do you ever hear me talk about George Soros or Michael Bloomberg?...The answer is no. Leave it alone. Until both sides completely quit, don't pit one versus the other.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 4:52 PM
  • Lefty, here I was trying to be civil-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 4:52 PM

Good luck - I tried that several times. Then out of the blue just the other day, for no reason, lefty posts that I'm a racist and hate gay people.

He's stuck on one-line talking points.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 5:10 PM
  • When the ballots are removed from the automatic ballot counter the judges can see how the ballots are marked. They don't know however, who was the person who cast that ballot.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 5:41 PM
  • When the ballots are removed from the automatic ballot counter the judges can see how the ballots are marked. They don't know however, who was the person who cast that ballot.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 5:41 PM

What does that mean?

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 5:55 PM
  • -- Posted by left turn on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 5:41 PM

And?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 9, 2014, at 6:31 PM
  • And what?

-- Posted by left turn on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 9:59 AM

Respond to this thread