Speak Out: 2014 Reaction to NFL domestic violence

Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 1:22 PM:

Huge line forms for Ray Rice jersey exchange at Ravens' stadium

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/ray-rice-jersey-exchange-huge-line-forms-r...

Report: Procter & Gamble pulls out of major cancer initiative with NFL

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/procter-gamble-backs-out-of-breast-cancer-ini...

Replies (23)

• Good Afternoon Piscary.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 1:42 PM
  • I was spanked with switches and belts as a child; I turned out fine. As a parent, I chose not to spank my children and they turned out fine.

I have watched friends spank their children and have grown to believe spanking is more about the adults anger than the child's behavior.

The NFL player who spanked his child might be getting lash back due to the NFL player who sucker punched his bride-to-be.

I am wondering if there was a previous medical history of violence with the father/child incident. If there wasn't, I do feel the NFL is over-reacting in that case.

I believe the NFL covered up the incident of domestic violence aka punched women in the face. For that, the NFL is now suffering consequences. When will folks realize transparency is imperative in "crisis" situations.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 2:31 PM
  • I have a different opinion on this - or maybe not.

I think the NFL has no business playing judge and jury on "employees". I think the problem isn't the NFL, it's the individual. And until a court says that any of these people are guilty or they are indicted or whatever - the attempts to smear the NFL are no different than those to smear Penn State - which 99.9999% of the people there did nothing wrong.

Another perfect example of "media justice"? A football player for a major university was accused of rape and assault OFF CAMPUS. The media, certain groups and politicians ripped the University for what this guy did OFF CAMPUS. Arrest him, jail him, prosecute him and see if he's guilty or not. But don't blame the University for something that didn't even happen in their jurisdiction.

Was the NFL player convicted for assault?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 2:51 PM
  • Dug,

Like famous actors, these highly paid "professionals" chose to live their life in the media. That is why they get paid the big bucks.

NFL fans and sponsors pay their salaries. If that many fans line up to trade in a shirt, that means they care about the player's off the field behavior. P&G cared enough to yank joint sponsorship.

The second video left no doubt about what transpired in the elevator; the man committed assault on a woman.

Regarding Penn state, the university sponsored the youth program and some of the acts took play on campus. University was guilty for covering up and looking the other way while heinous crimes were committed against children.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 3:06 PM
  • I agree that the *perpetrators* of these crimes should be punished by all means.

If I'm accused of a crime and not convicted, should my company be blamed for my personal actions?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 4:36 PM
  • NFL and the NBA swamps need to be cleaned up these guys do not set a good example at all before our young people. I don't watch neither one it has got out of control all about money once again American Greed. Like everything else our society has decayed so much in the past 20 years but really went down hill in the past seven years. When you have no leadership this is what happens anything goes.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 4:47 PM
  • Dug,

There are more stakeholders in the NFL issues than you v. your company. NFL players, as well as, other professionals have multi-layered contracts. player/ team owner(s)/ NFL/ various sponsors

Most professional contracts have criminal behavior and morals clauses.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 5:05 PM
  • Look at old swamp go. A back door attempt to blame Obama for domestic violence in the NFL and NBA. Swamp should audition for FOX.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 5:11 PM
  • Most professional contracts have criminal behavior and morals clauses.

-- Posted by mysterious on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 5:05 PM

Was Rice convicted of a crime?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 7:04 PM
  • I understand your point and do not disagree to a point.

My take on what has happened, the NFL initial response was toned down a lot, because the team owners asked them to show merci. When the second video came to light public's reaction forced the NFL's response and the reason for the lengthy "breaking news" press release yesterday.

In cases where there is a moral's clause, conviction is not necessary to prove his actions defiled NFL's reputation and their sponsors' reputations.

NFL players chose a life in the media. No matter how important they "think" they are, they should be held accountable to their contract and the law.

Interesting discussion.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 6:43 AM
  • Another angle, thinking the mother who turned the father who disciplined with a switch and belt (while visiting) may not have thought out the implications.

If daddy loses his job and income (which it looks like he will); it will impact the his ability to support her and her child in the manner they are currently receiving.

With that said, I do not condone corporal punishment, but if this was the first incident of child abuse... I'm not convinced father losing his job will lead to better future discipline choices.

I did read the four year old child had marks on his body over 10 days after the whippings. Under Missouri law, leaving a mark is child abuse.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 6:49 AM
  • I used to love watching the NFL. It got too jingoistic for me a long time ago. I watch entertainment programs like professional football to forget my problems for awhile, not to have them shoved down my throat for three hours.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 7:33 AM
  • mysterious - agree with a lot of what you've said. It sounds like a lot of the *personal* athlete sponsors are dropping these guys quickly as is their prerogative. There are definitely contracts and agreements with moral clauses etc.

I just don't think you can blame the NFL as some in the media have for having created this problem or the environment. It is difficult to fire someone for not committing a crime (legal system) as a form of "double jeopardy" punishment.

There are thugs, drugs and criminals all over the world. And some of them happen to play professional sports. But it's not the University's fault or professional sports. Punish the criminal, not the organization.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 9:12 AM
  • It doesn't matter what profession one is in, if you do the crime you have to do the time. IMO, a sports player should be suspended for the time it takes to prove he was guilty or not. The money while under suspension should be held by the court and then released to the defendant or the owners depending on the outcome of the case.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 9:51 AM
  • Can't believe,oh yes I can,ignoring the elephant in the corner.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Sun, Sep 21, 2014, at 6:58 PM
  • NFL and the NBA swamps need to be cleaned up these guys do not set a good example at all before our young people. I don't watch neither one it has got out of control all about money once again American Greed. Like everything else our society has decayed so much in the past 20 years but really went down hill in the past seven years. When you have no leadership this is what happens anything goes.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 4:47 PM

Only a lover of big government would believe such nonsense. Swamp, you need a strong leader to be ethical and moral?

-- Posted by L'Espagnol on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 5:06 PM
  • -- Posted by L'Espagnol on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 5:06 PM

I'm confused L'Spicoli. Don't you support Obama?

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 6:40 PM
  • I'm confused as well - I don't see a single word or statement in swamps post that says a word about how the government should "clean up" the NBA or NFL.

I thought he was talking about the leagues themselves.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 10:10 AM
  • I'm confused L'Spicoli.

Not surprised.

-- Posted by L'Espagnol on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 3:38 PM
  • Jay/Ike/Spaniard/L'Spags - you're confused. Now clear it up.

Where did he say anything about "government" involvement? Want me to cut and paste from the scary archives above to prove - for the millionth time - you're wrong?

Better hurry and get the SE Missourian to delete all your posts again. So we can't remind you just how wrong and nasty you are. Here's one of my favorites again:

"The US had little to do with ending Hitler's reign" - Jay/Ike/Spaniard/L'Spags...

Now where did he say anything about the government? Another lie.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 5:11 PM
  • Better hurry and get the SE Missourian to delete all your posts again. So we can't remind you just how wrong and nasty you are. Here's one of my favorites again:

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 5:11 PM

Another Dug LIE. No character. All dishonesty.

-- Posted by L'Espagnol on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • I'm confused L'Spicoli.

Not surprised.

-- Posted by L'Espagnol on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 3:38 PM

Are you not a Obama supporter? Thats okay, you don't have to answer. Stay quiet and try and save face.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • BS - L'Spags is foaming at the mouth. He's got all his posts deleted so now he thinks he can say whatever he wants and not be held accountable.

Once again the pinnacle of cowardice. Removing your posts from an anonymous forum - hilarious!

But we remember.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 9:33 PM

Respond to this thread