Speak Out: Hate Crime Or Not?

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 8:30 PM:

GANG OF BLACK MEN ATTACK WHITE MAN IN MISSISSIPPI, LEAVING HIM BRAIN DAMAGED

by WARNER TODD HUSTON 26 Aug 2014

A white, former Marine was badly beaten and possibly left with brain damage by a crowd of racial epithet-yelling African Americans at an all night restaurant near West Point, Mississippi apparently in retaliation for the shooting of Missouri teen Michael Brown. Police are hastening to avoid calling the attack a "hate crime."

Ralph Weems IV, 32, a former Marine who served in Iraq, is now in a medical coma but listed in fair condition at a Tupelo hospital. He may have brain damage from the attack, doctors say.

The altercation began when Weems and his friend David Knighten went to eat an early morning meal at a Waffle House in West Point, Mississippi, a small town south of Tupelo in the northern part of the state.

Knighten says that they were told by a black patron that white people weren't safe in the area because locals were still riled up about the shooting of black teen Michael Brown that occurred two weeks ago in Ferguson, Missouri.

The pair went into the establishment anyway, and soon got into a verbal argument with seven black customers. Knighten and Weems left after police were called to the scene and before any fighting broke out.

Knighten and Weems then drove to a nearby Huddle House restaurant but they were apparently followed by a large group of blacks.

After coming out of the bathroom, Knighten says he found a large group of locals surrounding his friend. They were all arguing. It all turned physical in short order and Weems was beaten down quickly by overwhelming odds. Knighten says he was unable to reach Weems to help.

Knighten took severe injuries, but Weems was left on the floor kicked into unconsciousness. Knighten says that the crowd was hurling "racial slurs" at them during the attack.

"All my injuries were minor fractures and lacerations," Knighten told the Clarion-Ledger. "I just wish I could have reached him sooner. Please keep your thoughts and prayers on Ralph."

West Point police, however, are quick to deny that this is a "hate crime."

"This does not appear to be a hate crime," Police Chief Tim Brinkley said in a statement.

"We are investigating this as an aggravated assault. It's very early in this investigation but thus far the evidence and statements suggest that a verbal altercation turned physical and somebody got hurt," the Chief said.

Thus far one man, 22-year-old Courtez McMillian of Okolona, Mississippi, has been arrested for the assault.

Replies (11)

• Same crime regardless of what the criminals were thinking.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 8:47 PM
  • Maybe the business had a camera?

-- Posted by Reasoning on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 8:53 PM
  • All crimes are hate crimes. Drop that stupid term and arrest those who are guilty.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 9:49 PM
  • I'll be holding my breath until Jesse and Al go down there and tell those black mean they need to be peaceful towards everybody, white or black.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 9:50 PM
  • I'll be holding my breath until Jesse and Al go down there and tell those black mean they need to be peaceful towards everybody, white or black.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 9:50 PM

You will turn blue and go into a comma before that happens.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 10:16 PM
  • FFF, Glad you don't read or watch MSM.

-- Posted by notrump on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 5:14 AM
  • gyatso,

Me too.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 5:40 AM
  • Just like Ferguson, people are prosecuting before the info is out.

What time did this occur, why did they leave the first place, where were they before they entered the first place, who threw the first punch, what was said, did the management call the police etc.

Dead is dead, they are guilty of that, but there is definitely more to this story.

Just like Ferguson, where I hope the information is finally brought to light.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 5:55 AM
  • That was the first restaurant though, right? Now, sort of sounds like these boys were looking for trouble (not death of course), but there is more to this story.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 9:40 AM
  • That was the first restaurant though, right? Now, sort of sounds like these boys were looking for trouble (not death of course), but there is more to this story.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 9:40 AM

Or they were looking for something to eat...what a crazy thought.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 9:48 AM
  • -- Posted by ✴Rick on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 6:31 PM

Rick, you're missing my point....You are innocent until proven guilty. But if your innocent, then it is not a crime....When someone commits a robbery, rape, or murder, it surely isn't out of the goodness of their heart. A crime is a crime, they do not need a category.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 8:57 PM

Respond to this thread