Speak Out: Sikeston Makes The Big Time: NYT Article.

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Jul 21, 2014, at 9:40 PM:

Replies (54)

• No doubt America is addicted to drugs no matter whether it is legal or illegal. Now, many are on the prescription pain killers which is being handed out like candy by some doctors which also should be prosecuted.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 6:58 AM
  • Now, many are on the prescription pain killers which is being handed out like candy by some doctors which also should be prosecuted.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 6:58 A

So you want cops and prosecutors second-guessing and monitoring the decisions of medical doctors?

Tell me again how you're a small govt guy...

-- Posted by L'Espagnol on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 7:06 AM
  • FFF, Thanks for sharing this article.

If Missouri is the only state not participating in a national database, that needs to be fixed.

I was recently forced to change GPs because mine moved out of state. The first thing the new nurse told me before making the initial appointment, Dr. New does not write prescriptions for pain medication.

Found the disclosure a bit odd, but evidently Dr. New finds it a necessary screening tool.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 2:46 PM
  • RELee,

Current Missouri law requires a physical prescription on Doctor's letterhead (with a physical description, age etc of the patient) for all narcotics/opiates. Faxed or called in is not allowed.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 2:58 PM
  • Schedule 1 drugs can not be prescribed (per the DEA); they have no known medical use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_...

-- Posted by miccheck on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 3:15 PM

The DEA has no known use as far as I can tell.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 5:48 PM
  • "So you want cops and prosecutors second-guessing and monitoring the decisions of medical doctors?

"Tell me again how you're a small govt guy..."

If the government is paying for them, the government has both the authority and the responsibility that they are being properly prescribed and dispensed.

If the patient is paying for them with his own funds (or with his own, unsubsidized health insurance), I reckon its his business what he does with the medicine he buys.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 2:13 PM
  • Safety Announcement "1-13-2011] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking drug manufacturers to limit the strength of acetaminophen in prescription drug products, which are predominantly combinations of acetaminophen and opioids. This action will limit the amount of acetaminophen in these products to 325 mg per tablet, capsule, or other dosage unit, making these products safer for patients."

Thus, 10-650 Percocet pain is not available.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 3:52 PM
  • "...This action will limit the amount of acetaminophen in these products to 325 mg per tablet, capsule, or other dosage unit, making these products safer for patients."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but once again you are affirming that you are "dumber than a box of rocks". (..Rick.. 2014) Had you read and comprehended the short, shared paragraph you may not have been so anxious to post irrelevant information.

The change had nothing to do with OTC acetaminophen dosages. The shared change limits the acetaminophen in combination pain medications, because some ignored the fact that their pain medication was a combination drug and were over dosing on acetaminophen (more than 4000 mg of acetaminophen a day is toxic).

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:14 PM
  • I sometimes buy the OTC medications in the $ aisle. Problem is, I only need the decongestant and they have pain medication included. Can't justify $6+ when it ends up going out of date before I use it.

what this country needs is a good $1 decongestant. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:18 PM

miccheck,

What a mega-ego you have ! Why in the world did you feel the need to repeat what I had posted, twice? Rhetorical question.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • When someone who types as slow as I, it is possible to repeat someone's idea. I would call it more of a thing of flattery than ego.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:42 PM
  • "Safety Announcement "1-13-2011] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking drug manufacturers to limit the strength of acetaminophen in prescription drug products, which are predominantly combinations of acetaminophen and opioids. This action will limit the amount of acetaminophen in these products to 325 mg per tablet, capsule, or other dosage unit, making these products safer for patients."

Rick,

You nor miccheck bothered to read the original post. If you had, neither (you or miccheck) of your 'ignorant' post were necessary. I repeated the post just for you two. Read it this time and apologize for your ignorance (or let it go).

Personal attack, Pfftt ... Suggest you go put on your big boy panties. If you can not take the heat get out of the forum.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:48 PM
  • "...btw , my ex-sister by law gets 10-650 Percocet once a month"

Well now, here you go and make me call you a flat out liar. "10-650 Percocet" not available, period. It has not been for a few years.

(I'll just sit back and watch the fire-works. lol)

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 5:51 PM
  • Some questions the DEA might want to ask. What are you doing with your ex-sister's prescriptions? How do you know how much they sell for on the street?

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:00 PM
  • Me'L is back!!

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:05 PM
  • Rick, Just talked to someone in the medical profession. Told me the manufacture and actual sale are two different things. Not sure if it is against the rules to sell what's on hand if the doc still writes it.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • The trend began in 2011, with the FDA requesting manufacturers to stop producing opiates combined with more than 325 mg acetaminophen per tablet. In January of 2014, physicians have been asked to stop prescribing opiates combined with more than 325 mg acetaminophen per tablet.

It would be rare to find a physician that is willing to risk their malpractice insurance to go against FDA's request.

It wasn't that big of a deal, until a couple of know-it-all wanna-bees had to piped in.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:17 PM
  • Rick,

What happened to freedom of speech? Guess you are the only one who can post freely. It appears you can not admit it when you are wrong. Deal with it dude.

Inform yourself Rick. If your ex-sister by law is still getting the dosage you mentioned (which I seriously doubt ie liar), she needs to change doctors.

"FDA Warns Doctors of Acetaminophen Liver Risks with Combo Drugs"

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/acetaminophen-limits-fda-58851/

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:24 PM
  • Be careful, you never know who is reading.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:26 PM
  • I'm reading... and it sounds so reminiscent of days gone by. Super poster holding court on all others who dare to post.

Question is... when will it be time to go into the I been threatened I'm skeered routine?

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:31 PM
  • It seems they "piped in" before I did but that's a whole different story . -- Posted by ✴Rick on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:34 PM

-- Posted by ✴Rick on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 3:34 PM

-- Posted by maelstrom on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 3:52 PM

Now Rick is having troubles with reading and comprehending time stamps?

Speaking of "don't start none..." You didn't respect my right to share a differing point of view (not to mention an accurate point of view). You didn't like being corrected. You started it... I'm waiting on your apology.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:42 PM
  • -- Posted by ✴Rick on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:40 PM

LMBO RF You have no clue what you are ranting about. Now you owe miccheck an apology too. Just a suggestion, but you might want to stay away from opiates with or without acetaminophen, because it is obvious your mind is in an altered state.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 6:46 PM
  • "....damage the liver the same as booze ." Dang I wish you hadn't brought booze into it, I was looking forward to an unfashionable adult beverage later on tonight. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • Old John

If alcohol in moderation truly damaged brain cells, most Americans would be brain dead. Come to think of it.... maybe that is the problem with voting in this country.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 7:29 PM
  • Was it Red Skelton that said he knew a lot more old drunks than old doctors?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 7:39 PM
  • Old John, I don't know about old Red... but I personally knew a drunk and he always said the doctors all told him drinking would kill him. But he said.... hell I've already outlived 3 doctors.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Enuff geeze!

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 8:45 PM
  • Enough what Dug?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 8:53 PM
  • I'm just reminding another poster who got bent out of shape the other day when I asked another poster (Reasoning) a question.

The fact that I kept asking Reasoning to answer a simple question got the other poster upset and he posted "Enuf already".

So today we have another back-and-forth between two posters on this thread. So I thought I would respond.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 8:59 PM
  • Doug, Pay no attention to the man, men or women behind the curtain. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 9:24 PM
  • OJ - you're right! Keep reminding me of that! :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 10:03 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 7:39 PM

OJ: Willie Nelson had a song out that said "there's alot more old drunks than old doctors".

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Jul 23, 2014, at 10:12 PM
  • This thread went downhill fast....

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 7:03 AM
  • "I owe everyone an apology ."

That's not the way I see it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 7:52 AM
  • That's not the way I see it either. You owe no one an apology.

It's just another day on the threads... ;-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 8:38 AM
  • "Well now, here you go and make me call you a flat out liar. "10-650 Percocet" not available, period. It has not been for a few years."

What evidence do you have that supports that claim?

http://www.medicinenet.com/oxycodone_and_acetaminophen/article.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/oxycodone_and_acetaminophen/article.htm

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-acetaminophen_and_oxycodone/article_em.htm

I Googled "Percocet 10/650" and found any number of sites listing it. I Googled "Percocet 10/650 discontinued" and found a number of sites in which the question was asked whether it was, but found no evidence showing that it had been so.

If you have a link that shows such a prohibition, I would enjoy seeing it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 8:43 AM
  • This report indicates that, as recently as October of 2013, Percocet 10/650 was being legally manufactured in by Watson Laboratories in Corona, CA. The report indicates that the lot was voluntarily recalled, not because it contained more than 325 ml of Acetaminophen but because foreign capsules were found in the bottle.

The indication is that the FDA is phasing out such medications with greater dosages than 325 ml of Acetaminophen, but that the limitation was not immediate and is not in effect at this time. Even your safety notice, had you read it all (a link would have been nice) identified Percocet 10/650 as being in production in the included list.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 8:54 AM
  • "It seems the "ban" may still be a work in progress."

Which means Mealstrom was wrong in stating that it is "not available, period. It has not been for a few years".

That is why I said I did not read it as Rick being the one who owed an apology.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 9:22 AM
  • There is evidence scattered all over the threads and forums..... Leftists are not in the habit of apologizing for stupidity or stupid remarks.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 10:06 AM
  • Exactly Wheels. And yet they demand apologies continually.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 10:08 AM
  • Uh, oh. We agree again. Something is amiss! :)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 10:36 AM
  • I said... "not available, period. It has not been for a few years".

SH, The name is maelstrom, not Mealstrom.

While I do agree, it appears (based on the links I shared yesterday) the issue is a work- in- progress. However, I stand by the opinion that I do not think physicians are or have been writing prescriptions for the dosage in question since the first FDA recommendation was issued.

Rick, Your apology is accepted. And as you see, I have conceded that one of my statements was worded poorly, despite my firm belief that the statement is true.

Regarding calling you out as a liar, twice. I can not prove you lied, but I strongly believe you did. So no apology for that.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 11:44 AM
  • "poorly worded"? It was entirely untrue.

"despite my firm belief that the statement is true"

"but I strongly believe you did"

What you believe is immaterial to the point that you referred to a "fact" that was not factual.

Given that the product is still being manufactured, under the auspices of the FDA (since the incident report was theirs) one has to believe it is still being prescribed. Why would manufacturers manufacture a product they cannot sell?

This site clearly indicates that such prescriptions continue to be written - and filled - as the FDA was asking, as recently as April of this year, for pharmacists to stop filling them and to no longer list the drugs on their inventory. However, it is a voluntary compliance issue and not everyone appears to be voluntarily complying.

"April 28, 2014 -- FDA is reminding health care professionals to stop prescribing and pharmacists to stop dispensing prescription combination drug products that contain more than 325 milligrams (mg) of acetaminophen per tablet, capsule, or other dosage unit. If a pharmacist receives a prescription for a combination product with more than 325 mg of acetaminophen per dosage unit, FDA recommends that they contact the prescriber to discuss a product with a lower dose of acetaminophen. These products are no longer considered safe by FDA and have been voluntarily withdrawn. We encourage pharmacists to return them to the wholesaler or manufacturer.

"These products were voluntarily withdrawn by the manufacturers at FDA's request to protect consumers from the risk of severe liver damage, which can result from taking too much acetaminophen.

"FDA also asks wholesalers to remove the product codes for all prescription combination drug products containing more than 325 mg of acetaminophen per dosage unit from their ordering systems and return all products to the manufacturers."

http://www.drugs.com/answers/support-group/lorcet-10-650/blog/

The problem is not with taking 10/650 Percocet, but with taking 10/650 Percocet and then taking other acetaminophen drugs, whether prescription or over-the-counter, leading to potential overdose. If the physician has advised the patient of this danger, then the physician has fulfilled his obligation when prescribing the medication. If the doctor saw the need for a 650 mg dose before the FDA's request, he is not likely to reduce the dosage because of the FDA's request but rather to ensure the patient is re-apprised of the danger.

You've still provided no evidence to support your position, other than your "firm belief".

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 12:02 PM
  • Shapley, Another poster who falls off into the deep abyss of whacko fixation black hole.

Your 12:02 PM post added nothing to the discussion that I had already posted yesterday. (You and miccheck are really good at sharing redundant posting.)

I conceded that the comment in question was poorly worded and that it was my opinion, which I believe to be true. I don't feel the need to share further evidence that the issue is a work-in-progress, as I provided that yesterday.

Now go find another bone to fixate on.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 12:40 PM
  • Rick,

Your post suggest, you really don't understand the point of my original post or the FDAs recommendations.

The problem (and point): folks are overdosing (not on the opiates) but on acetaminophen because they do not realize that they can not take over a combined 4,000 mg of acetaminophen (daily) in both OTC and prescription combined medication like 10-625.

Kindly, I let your "I don't know much" opening slide by ... in the interest of extending an olive branch. ;-)

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 1:01 PM
  • "Kindly, I let your "I don't know much" opening slide by ... in the interest of extending an olive branch. ;-)"

Rick, you'll be able to get along with her... all you have to do, is do it her way and everything will be hunky dory.

-- Posted by Have Wheels Will Travel - ΑΩ on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 1:34 PM
  • "Your 12:02 PM post added nothing to the discussion that I had already posted yesterday."

Actually, it does, since it clearly shows that, at least as recently as April of this year, the FDA was concerned about physicians still writing prescriptions for such medications and pharmacies filling them, which absolutely disproves your claim that it was "not available, period. It has not been for a few years".

When will the folks on the Left learn not to accentuate their statements with "period"? That seems to have tripped up more than one of them.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 1:58 PM
  • Why would anyone take 650 OTC when they have opiate 10-650 already ? -- Posted by ✴Rick on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 1:44 PM

Rick, Miccheck is on the right train of thought, acetaminophen is combined in a wide variety of OTC medications, like cold and flu, as well as prescription pain medications.

Some folks don't understand what they are taking. And some think all OTC medications are safe, even if they fudge on the "recommended" dosages.

Another to watch out for is Ibuprofen, if memory serves 2,400 mg is the maximum daily dosage.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • Seems to me this thread was to be about doctor shopping. Or at least that's what the link was about.

One thing I don't understand is why the doc writes a script when he knows it is the third in only days.

"SIKESTON, Mo. -- On his office phone at L & S Pharmacy, Richard Logan listened as a doctor's office detailed how a patient had just left with her third prescription for painkillers in only nine days -- and was quite possibly getting more, illegally, elsewhere."

The article is also about Missouri being the only state without a tracking system.

So, have other states solved the problem of multiple prescriptions with data tracking?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • "doctor's office detailed how a patient had just left with her third prescription for painkillers in only nine days". -- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 8:16 PM

OJ: Sounds like the doctor should be looked into for allowing this to happen.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 9:17 PM
  • semo, I agree.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 9:23 PM
  • OJ: Sounds like the doctor should be looked into for allowing this to happen.

-- Posted by semo471 on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 9:17 PM

No reason nor need for the doctor to be looked into. As free human beings exercising their rights to do with their bodies as they please, in this case desiring to put painkillers in their body, paid for an office visit to get a prescription from the doctor. The doctor accommendated them. None of the "authority's" business.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Jul 24, 2014, at 11:00 PM
  • Physicians need to know their state's regulations on "Doctor Shopping". Most require a doctor to report their suspicion to the appropriate authorities (which most likely would not be a Pharmacist/Deputy).

"doctor's office detailed how a patient had just left with her third prescription for painkillers in only nine days"

If this physician themselves prescribed all three, he/she have violated their oath, medical regulations and could be held accountable. If doctor feels their patient is addicted to opiates, then they have a responsibility to establish an opiate exit (detox) plan that minimizes withdrawal.

Missouri needs to get on board with the prescription database.

-- Posted by survivalist on Fri, Jul 25, 2014, at 6:13 AM
  • -- Posted by re.tired on Fri, Jul 25, 2014, at 6:13 AM

re.tired: You said it better than I did.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Jul 25, 2014, at 8:40 AM

Respond to this thread