Speak Out: Infrastructure Overhaul

Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 10:59 AM:

The President this week proposed over 306 billion dollars for the start of the over haul of our infrastructure. Now I can remember we went through this with the 787 billion dollar stimulus which the majority was suppose to go toward infrastructure over haul well it didn't instead Pelosi, Reid and the President directed the majority of that money toward increased social programs and the infrastructure received very little in funding regarding this huge stimulus. I have said all a long we better get on this infrastructure it is crumbling before our eyes every day. The experts said it would take 3.6 trillion dollars to completely overhaul this outdated and wore out infrastructure we currently have because it hasn't been touched for years. I support the President on his proposal if the money is solely ear marked for infrastructure over haul and nothing else such as increased welfare programs and pell grants. A solid modern infrastructure is our most important asset in this country and we need it plus it would put thousands to work and remove many from the welfare roles, they either work on these public works projects if able too or they do not receive government benefits but they cannot have it both ways plus they can learn a trade under the apprenticeship programs that would be available.

Replies (33)

• Does infrastructure include fiber optics and pipe lines?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 11:15 AM
  • swamp, for your own benefit, you need to see how much of that stimulus went for tax cuts. Old John, I would say infrastructure would be defined as to what benefits the public in general.Just my opinion.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • So if some fellows decide the town could benefit from a flour mill and use their own money to build one, should the bridge allowing access from the other side of the stream be paid for by tax payers or the mill owner?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 11:40 AM
  • A couple of things......

Is this shovel ready?

and

How do you buy a tax cut with appropriated money?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 11:55 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:12 PM
  • I understand everything I know about, do you?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:20 PM
  • Don't know what the 288 Billion shown to be for tax relief is all about, but it is not tax cuts available to all. If anything, I suspect it is mostly the tax welfare relief afforded a lot of Obama voters on "Green Projects". Solyndra ring a bell with anyone?

And then there was the 111 Billion shown going to Infrastructure and Science. Having just a bit of a problem seeing the tie here, when Infrastructure was touted as mostly roads and bridges as I remember it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:24 PM
  • "voters" meant to say 'supporters'

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • From the link.

Energy efficiency and renewable energy research and investment

Total: $27.2 billion

Loans and investments into green energy technology are a significant part of the final bill.

Dang, looks like the Obama supporters were cheated on the deal, they only got about 3.5% of the total stimulus.

Bottom line, regardless of how it was handed out, the stimulus was really not spent the way it was sold to us and it did very little to improve the economy. Pretty much a waste of 3/4 trillion dollars.

And I know it is not much if you say it real fast.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 12:44 PM
  • Was it not sold to us as primarily repairing our infrastructure on shovel ready jobs?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 1:08 PM
  • "...our infrastructure on shovel ready jobs?"

Actually we did have jobs. The Highway 50 bridge over the Osage River east of jefferson City was one.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 1:28 PM
  • The table in that link tended to make the bill look like welfare appropriations.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 1:49 PM
  • I read the article from the antiwar link. I believe it is revealing and describes what has been going on behind our backs in government for a long time.

Kind of like what goes on here in a mini-fashion.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 2:24 PM
  • We're not playing twenty questions here today mic. I have better things to do and I am soon off to enjoy some oysters on the half shell with a couple or more adult beverage chasers followed by a Mardi Gras Parade.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 2:28 PM
  • If my comments do not suit you, you are certainly entitled to ignore them,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 2:46 PM
  • Why don't you just have your "meaningful" discussions with someone else and ignore I am around.

Your superior attitude and critical approach to everything someone else says is what got you and me started off on the wrong foot to begin with.

Never have been particularly fond of newbies who came aboard and started trying to push people around...

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:18 PM
  • Would it been easier for you to understand if I had just said.... kiss off, I don't need your criticisms?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:32 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:34 PM

Not so, I could have pointed out plenty of things on there that made it look like welfare. If you want to play a game, go look yourself, your typing finger doesn't appear to be broken.

I could see where this conversation was going and I choose not to go there, and I was not rude about it, matter of fact yes, rude no.

Nothing about these forums dictate I have to interact with you just because I may have made a comment, if or not you agree with it. You desire attention so desperately.... seek counseling, I am not licensed in that area.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:40 PM
  • And that will be it for a few hours, I have better things to do.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:41 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:36 PM

What makes you think I, or anyone else for that matter, are required to answer your questions.

Get over yourself.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • Just wondering.... You think miccheck has a day off from her job? Would be interested to see a list of all the times of her postings on the different forums to see how much "work time" she actually puts in. Must be a gub'ment job if she is "working" today.

-- Posted by whoknows? on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 4:45 PM
  • That didn't take long.. Almost quitting time though! Have a good weekend!

-- Posted by whoknows? on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 4:55 PM
  • lefty; I was working in State Government at the time this all came out and I can assure you the States didn't receive what they thought they were going to receive for infrastructure overhaul. We were very disappointed in the State because everybody thought more would have been allotted for construction well we found out differently. I retired from government and seen how the system operates and no doubt a lot of wasteful spending goes on each and every day lefty you all would really be up-set if you knew all of it regarding your tax dollars and how they are spent. Lefty it is a dog and pony show make them happy tell them anything they will believe it. Infrastructure is Public Works Projects such as: Water Treatment Plants, Bridges, Highways, Roads, Power Grids, Sewer, Water and Cyber etc etc. All of these projects fall under the Davis Bacon Act better known as the Prevailing Wage both Federal and State.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • What makes you think I, or anyone else for that matter, are required to answer your questions.

No one's required to do anything, but it's kind of implied by your participation in the board that you will.

I could have pointed out plenty of things on there that made it look like welfare. If you want to play a game, go look yourself, your typing finger doesn't appear to be broken.

I don't want to play a game; I wanted to find out what you were looking at that I missed.

Methinks, like always, you stated what you wanted to be true without having any evidence to back it up, kind of like that time you tried to show me the PPACA was collecting information because the IRS knew how much money people make...

-- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:57 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:43 PM
  • What makes you think I, or anyone else for that matter, are required to answer your questions.

No one's required to do anything, but it's kind of implied by your participation in the board that you will.

I could have pointed out plenty of things on there that made it look like welfare. If you want to play a game, go look yourself, your typing finger doesn't appear to be broken.

I don't want to play a game; I wanted to find out what you were looking at that I missed.

Methinks, like always, you stated what you wanted to be true without having any evidence to back it up, kind of like that time you tried to show me the PPACA was collecting information because the IRS knew how much money people make...

-- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 3:57 PM

Ooops, posted first response before I was prepared.

T&T

It seems lately, because I have had the audacity to disagree with you in the past you try to start a whizzing contest over any comment I make. I do not appreciate the harassment. I therefore intend to quit responding to you until you grow up. I have been accused of various and sundry things by you when you get angry and start acting like a 12 year old schoolgirl. My mistake is having responded to you in the first place.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 10:41 PM
  • Obviously you've been violating the "Two Rules of Wheels" for SO participants.

Rule 1 -- Wheels is always right.

Rule 2 -- If Wheels is wrong, see rule number 1.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:42 AM
  • Common,

I don't set the rules on here.... you're trying to make a funny, right?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • Rule 1 -- Wheels is always right. Rule 2 -- If Wheels is wrong, see rule number 1. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:42 AM

As opposed to the "Two Rules of Comon" for SO participants.

Rule 1 - Obama is always right.

Rule 2 - If you dare question Barack Obama, see Rule 1.

-- Posted by Dug on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:37 PM
  • If you want to know what the last stimulus did for us ask the local union guys.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:37 PM
  • Start with the laborers mic and go from there. I talk to them a couple of times a week.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 12:43 AM
  • The last stimulus did very little regarding infrastructure overhaul majority of that money went toward (Pelosi, Reid and Obama) social welfare programs as the Obama Administration was preparing for the 2010 mid terms and the General Election in 2012. The stimulus is something else we were not told the full truth on this issue as well many thought a lot of that money was being directed toward the overhaul of our infrastructure but it wasn't, remember what Obama said during a news conference nearly two years ago when ask about this his response was "So much for shovel ready jobs".

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 6:32 AM
  • http://floppingaces.net/2011/09/23/why-were-infrastructure-improvements-not-paid...

The next round of stimulus should not be passed unless solely tagged as earmarked for nothing but infrastructure overhaul or this bunch will take it and throw it toward more welfare programs and pell grants and we will end up on the short end of the stick once again, or they could bail Obamacare out of the mess it is in they are "slick".

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 6:41 AM
  • Swamp

You know they have to give the money to their base which is the leaches.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 6:01 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: