Speak Out: Something to think about...these are the "takers"

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:45 AM:

Guess I am a proud "taker". Joining the military is the best thing I've never done.

Replies (38)

• The programmes are insituted to help the elderly, the indigent, and the infirm. She would seem to qualify under those definitions. She apparenlty fell for the government's selling point that student loans were the answer, they are not.

A "taker", by definition, is one who receives more in services than they pay in. Many are takers. They should accept that fact and not whine about the label. The problem with takers is not that they receive services for which they qualify, but that many blame others for a situation that is of their own making and, worse yet, demand that others pay more so they can have more. She at least is willing to admit that she made mistakes. Defaulting on her student loans was likely the biggest of them.

People worry too much about being labeled. If one fits the definition, accept that and move on. The label will no kill you, it's not poison.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 6:53 AM
  • You know I had my insurance canceled at the first of the year direct result of Obamacare. Had the insurance for years always paid good people to work with. I go up on this government ran health care site and the deductibles are unbelievable. I can't go on the Obamacare Medicaid plan make to much annually and if I could I wouldn't do it in the first place. People have to learn to shop around and work at it every day when they come across some bad luck and stop running to the government looking for an answer. I'll fine insurance within the next few days it is what it is and I have to live with it for now something I did not want to encounter at this stage in my life but I have to deal with it and move, and many people need to do the same thing deal with your problems and move on.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:35 AM
  • 'my insurance canceled at the first of the year direct result of Obamacare' ... "I'll fine insurance within the next few days"

You are either not being truthful or extremely irresponsible. ie no health insurance for 44 days and counting

You can not predict when you will need healthcare. Who do you think will pay your mega healthcare bill if you are hospitalized while uninsured?

And you get on here and preach bull day after day.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:46 AM
  • This woman that was featured in the newspaper article has dug herself a very deep hole. She had better quit digging. While she admits mistakes, it appears she is pointing the finger at everybody else for not providing for her mistakes with more taxpayer help than she is already getting. At $900 per month and making slightly more than minimum wage, she is not overburdened with work hours. At minimum wage alone she is only working 120 hours per month. And the father of these children, where is his participation in their support? I don't think we have the whole story.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:20 AM
  • nascar.fan you know so mjuch but so little. It really is not any of your business, yes my insurance was canceled by your Obamacare and I will have a policy in place by today from the so called web site I was forced to purchase from or else. You keep your opinions to yourself Mr. Perfect I'm sure you have plenty problems with your own life much less trying to bash everyone else.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • I feel sorry for this woman. A very bad situation to be in, especially with children involved.

I don't know of too many people who look down on someone who is in dire straits regarding basic needs of food, shelter and health care who are TRYING to work their way out of that situation. IF the details of her story are true (warning: "Huffpost") and she is working all she can to provide for her family then she needs help. Yes, she is a "taker" but there are many resources available to her.

In most communities there are volunteers who work at food pantries and give away a ton of food. We also have a good St. Vincent de Paul society that provides furniture as well. And they always help the needy with their utility bills. And not a dime of taxpayer dollar funds all the volunteers or their resources. Imagine that.

She made bad choices and she is in a bad situation. As others asked, where is her husband and child support? You can't educate someone on "life" skills and how to work your way into a better place. It is possible for her to improve her families situation - she simply doesn't seem to know how.

What I can't stand are the millions of takers who won't do certain jobs, who sit around on a couch, watch big screen TVs, run around on the internet, drive around burning up gas, getting tattoos all the while getting "free" health care, "free" cell phones, "free" food, "free" monthly checks - on and on. A huge coalition of today's democrat party.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:47 AM
  • "...sit around on a couch, watch big screen TVs, run around on the internet, drive around burning up gas, getting tattoos all the while getting "free" health care, "free" cell phones, "free" food, "free" monthly checks - on and on."

How about if you find the verifiable name of one real person that receives each of the those "benefits" particularly the "free" checks and whatever "on and on" is.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • Dug: We have a lot of people that have made bad choices in the past few years, but this healthcare beats all I ever seen in my life just why did our government have to choose this route for when the majority of the people was against it since the first day it was enacted and than I got a motor mouth that bashes me this morning and he/she don't have a dam clue what they are talking about but again that is the way the far left operates if you go against them and the agenda they are trying to force upon people.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:59 AM
  • swampeastmissouri, If you don't want another's opinion, keep your business off public opinion forums.

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:05 AM
  • -- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:58 AM

Those names are available to you. Why don't you report them? They are all over the internet bragging about the things they get for doing nothing and making a good living at it.

The problem you fail to acknowledge is this: it's legal. And you support it. Our huge so-called "safety net" has turned into a bonafide way to live. Don't pay a dime in taxes and live off the gubmint. It's all legal.

But liberals claim we have a "revenue" problem, not a spending problem. Just listen to the rhetoric from liberals around campaign time. And the low-information voters buy it every time.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:09 AM
  • "...when the majority of the people was against it since the first day it was enacted..."

In actuality it would seem that many of the people that are supposedyly "against it" are not even affected by it (roughly 75%) ...

"Fewer Americans Have Employer-Based Health Insurance

Medicare, Medicaid, or military/veterans' benefits covers 25.2%

by Elizabeth Mendes

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Fewer Americans got their health insurance from an employer in 2011 (44.6%) than in 2010 (45.8%), continuing the downward trend Gallup and Healthways have documented since 2008. As employer-based health insurance has declined, the percentage of Americans who are uninsured has increased, rising to 17.1% this year, the highest seen since 2008.

"The 25.2% of Americans who had government health insurance -- Medicare, Medicaid, or military/veterans' benefits -- is unchanged from 2010, but remains slightly elevated compared with 2008 and 2009 levels. The percentage of Americans who report they receive healthcare through some other means, which would include buying their own coverage, has been stable over the past four years."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152621/fewer-americans-employer-based-health-insuranc...

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:19 AM
  • "Those names are available to you."

They are not available to me. You seem to be the one that knows them all, you report them.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:20 AM
  • Someone should go down to New Madrid and help that gal set up a non profit organization to help folks in her situation. She could be ceo and pay herself a decent wage with part of the donations.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:31 AM
  • Too many times with these stories the inseminator is missing.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:37 AM
  • -- Posted by Spaniard on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:36 AM

As is this article - on the internet. And a majority of your references and links.

Now just think about that for a minute before you make a knee-jerk response...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:39 AM
  • -- Posted by Spaniard on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:42 AM

You have to go to web sites other than the Huffington Post, MSNBC or www.whitehouse.gov.

Try it some time. Or as Ike once said "Use the Google. It's not that hard".

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:43 AM
  • I have a friend that is on all the free programs. This person in not able to work and I'm not begrudging the benefits. But I can say one thing for sure, that household eats better than mine and wastes food and spends the little money available on stupid stuff.

Then again I cold eat that good if it wasn't just somehow bred into me to try to stretch a $.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:44 AM
  • Same to you nascar.fan now keep it moving.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • "Does it happen? I'm sure. However, what I hoped to illustrate by posting this article is that everyone of those people is a human being, with a heart, a soul."

Hmmmm! Do you show the same compassion for the unborn with the above mentioned attributes.... heart, soul?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:15 AM
  • "You have to go to web sites other than the Huffington Post"

Now Dug.... play nice. I have seen that very paper referenced at least twice here this morning as a reputable source. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:18 AM
  • Hmmmm! Do you show the same compassion for the unborn with the above mentioned attributes.... heart, soul?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:15 AM

That came out of nowhere...

-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:16 AM

No it didn't, it came from you post.... reposted below. It is a valid consideration, when you start talking about hearts and souls. I suspect you will try to label it a "Strawman Argument" since you obviously didn't like me asking the question.

Does it happen? I'm sure. However, what I hoped to illustrate by posting this article is that everyone of those people is a human being, with a heart, a soul.

Are there lazy people who manage to collect benefits so they don't have to work? I'm sure (though I would dispute that a lot of it is legal, as you say). I've worked with a lot of lazy people in the past who were pulling in a paycheck and doing half the work I did. That's life.

-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:27 AM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:28 AM
  • that is the way the far left operates if you go against them and the agenda they are trying to force upon people. -- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 9:59 AM

You nailed it swamp. Accuse the far left of supporting the very things they support and you get a "following".

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:43 AM
  • It's not a strawman; it's just flat out changing the subject. Not to mention assuming I have certian beliefs when I don't believe I've ever discussed abortion on these forums.

-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:41 AM

T&T

You brought up humans with hearts and souls, not me... that makes it open for discussion.

Have you ever read this partial statement.... of course you have, you have quoted it yourself.

"A place for you to discuss the issues of the day, network with other website users and talk about just about anything."

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • I can see why you wouldn't want to discuss your leftist leanings on either of these subjects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaJ0s0-E1o&feature=kp

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • "But what benefit does the label have?"

Like all labels, they provide a convenient means of categorizing a certain behavior. Just as there are those who label "neo-cons" and "tea baggers", or the more common "liberal" and "conservative" labels. Then, there are " the 1%" and "the 99%" and the "greenies" and the "wasters" and the "climate deniers" and the "alarmists". And we mustn't forget the "haters" and the "homophobes". All of these labels serve the purpose of identifying an unspecified group with a specific agenda, behavior, or political policy.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:32 PM
  • SH

You forgot the gang and the posse.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 1:55 PM
  • Coconut,

There are some that are overly concerned by a lot of deadbeats in this country who refuse to work because it is more profitable not to. Not talking about sick, disabled and those that are trying. But the help should be a handup and not ongoing handouts.

They have a manufactured concern for these people because they are human and have a heart and soul. But bring up the fact that the unborn are human and have a beating heart and soul also, but it is ok to legally murder them when they are still helpless and cannot defend themselves.

When they trap themselves with their own verbage and have no defense, they go silent. Oh well, it makes for a more pleasant day. ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 5:38 PM
  • There are lot of people who overestimate the number of deadbeats and forget the most of the people we help are human beings who ARE trying.

-- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:02 PM

T&T

Sure they are.... I suppose you have some reliable statistics on that. Not Huffington Post.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:17 PM
  • Coconut,

I have my suspicions about a couple of people on here being takers.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:58 PM
  • Coconut,

Let me rephrase that to say deadbeat takers.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 7:59 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 8:05 PM

T&T

That link did nothing to prove how many or how few people on the welfare system are just deadbeats.

I don't believe we were even comparing how many people were working vs how many were taking. But any time roughly the number of people taking comes close to the number of people working we have a very serious problem. Fifty years fighting the Democrats war on poverty has produced dismal results. We need to surrender and let those people who are able to work alone. They will figure it out in short order.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 10:19 PM
  • Statistically speaking, the percentage of the population living in poverty (which was declining steadily before we declared war on it), has remained relatively steady ever since. Thus, the war on poverty seems to have halted the decline in poverty, which I find hard to claim as a 'victory'.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:10 AM
  • I think, statistically, the so-called FPL or "Federal Poverty Level" is much much higher and the so-called poor are much much richer than they were before the "war" was started.

When you pass a health care bill that provides credits - money - to help pay your premiums and you qualify up to 400% of the "Federal Poverty Level" that about sums it up. I believe you can still receive government money with Obamacare if you make near $90,000 and have a family of four.

Today's new "poor"... internet, TV, multiple cars, air conditioning, cable, and "poor".

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:17 AM
  • If the poor are "richer," isn't that a sign the "war" is working? -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:23 AM

That would be like winning a war and still fighting. Why fight it? Stop the taxpayer handouts and let them fight their own personal war on their own so-called poverty.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 8:28 AM
  • This is the best the so called poor has had it, for the first time they make over $5,000.00 more on the year than the average middle class working man by just drawing all of the government entitlements that are available to them including the huge income tax refunds they receive each year.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 9:50 AM
  • -- Posted by Coconut Telegraph on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:01 AM

Coconut,

I think sometimes you give some of these people way to much credit.

I don't think some of them can think past the end of their own nose.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:20 AM
  • "...maybe we are the dumb ones..."

-- Posted by Coconut Telegraph on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:34 AM

At least some are catching on...

(A joke, don't get all offended.)

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 11:49 AM

Respond to this thread