Speak Out: Missouri Nullification Update

Posted by Lumpy on Tue, Dec 22, 2009, at 8:29 PM:

Nullification is an effort to push back against unconstitutional federal laws and regulations on a state level.

Currently, there are several pieces of nullification legislation in the Missouri House and Senate. Here is an update.

HCR 13 - Claims sovereignty for the states under the Tenth Amendment of the United States Constitution for all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government under the Constitution. STATUS: Passed in the House.

HB 1230 - Establishes the Missouri Firearms Freedom Act. STATUS: Introduced in the House.

HB 361 - Protects a driver's license applicant's privacy rights and limits use of an applicant's personal information for other purposes (anti Real ID Act). STATUS: Approved by the Governor, binding law passed.

HJR 48 - Legislation to effectively nullify any future national health care plan. STATUS: Introduced in the House.

HB 561 - Establishes procedures for the use of electronic gold currency by the State of Missouri and its political subdivisions. STATUS: Introduced in the House.

Replies (5)

• Thanks Lumpy, I was trying to find out about this today but my software is too old to open pdfs. Do you think the Missouri contitution has grounds for prohibiting the mandate to buy health insurance? Just a wish.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 22, 2009, at 8:43 PM
  • Thank you, lumpy. I hadn't seen any of these yet, either.

States' rights have been whittled on for some time ... I suppose that's part of the reason succession efforts have been growing in some states?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Dec 22, 2009, at 9:54 PM
  • Sama, please, do you know what kind of traffic congestion that would cause? Just think about it, reporters and news crews would shut the whole city down just to see Bill's limo coming down broadway. And you might catch cold!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 22, 2009, at 10:31 PM
  • Old John,

Both the Missouri and the US Constitutions will allow the State of Missouri to nullify any future (not so much in the future now) federal health care legislation. I don't know if our (MO's) representatives have the courage to act. There are a couple of other States that are ahead of the curve on this, it will be interesting to see the results.

The Tenth Amendment is going to save this country.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Dec 23, 2009, at 5:22 AM
  • In what is referred to as the commerce clause in the constitution is the word "regulate". I understand that word means to "direct, manage or contol according to rules and standards". What rules or standards were enumerated in the constitution at that time pertaining to commerce between the states? I can understand the founders did not want states to impose embargos and limits on other states or restrict the free flow of commerce. But did they ever intend the Federal government to restrict the free flow of trade or restrict what goods the states can trade among themselves? I only ask since I can not see how the growing of wheat for one's own use affects foriegn trade. Maybe someone can set this Old John straight by flushing out the facts for me.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Dec 23, 2009, at 11:11 AM

Respond to this thread