Speak Out: Democrats New Strategy for 2014

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:04 AM:

Replies (30)

• I believe the Republicans stategy should be to get in a bidding war with the Democrats to see who can take the minimum wage the highest.

That way we can raise unemployment to higher levels and get on with the inevitable crash and get it over with.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:07 AM
  • Good point Wheels. We keep it up and we will have a crash far worse than the great depression ever thought of being, but you can't tell some of these people that they still live in a fantasy land.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:31 AM
  • Swamp,

The coffee is all disposed of, kind of sort of, have to try and be productive the rest of the day. Along with taking a granddaughter on a post Christmas shopping trip.

Have a great day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 10:37 AM
  • They should raise the minimum wage and cap the amount of profit a business is allowed to make, that way the price of Wimpy's hamburger today would not cost more on tuesday. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 12:26 PM
  • Yeah but I bet you better be wearing your spectacles so you can find them in the bun. ☻ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 12:28 PM
  • What the heck raise the minimum wage to $25.00 per hour if they are going to raise it do it and see how many are working after that happens. Like the old saying goes "don't bite off the hand that feeds you".

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Dec 30, 2013, at 1:28 PM
  • So funny to watch people complain about giving a miniscule raise to people making the lowest wages in the country, but not a single complaint about the owners of all these poor billion dollar businesses making HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in salaries every year.

Remember the good old days when people made decent wages and the owners and CEO's were content to make 1 million a year instead of 500 million?

But hey, as long as we can all agree it's these poor leeches sucking all the money away from the poor 1% right?!

-- Posted by the_eye on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 4:01 PM
  • One Eye,

When the Democrats suggest going to $15 an hour, I hope the Republicans counter with a bill to raise it to $25 an hour. Sooner we bring this to a head and clear the decks, the better off the country will be.

It has always been my contention that if you were only worth $5 an hour to an employer, do something to make yourself worth $10 an hour and on up the line. To be forced to pay someone $10 an hour who only wants to be worth $5 an hour has not and is not good for the country as a whole. But hey, if the majority wants to pay premium prices for inferior labor so be it.... it will all work itself out, and the sooner the better.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 4:18 PM
  • Not a single complaint from the fans when they pay the big bucks to see the million dollar players do what they do with a ball, but when a smart person expands a company into a multi-million dollar entity that creates thousands of good paying jobs, well that's when the leaches get jealous.

All these people that have been drawing unemployment checks [not unemployable checks] are upset that they may have to go out of their proffession to get a job. Reminds me of a welder I new that went to Alaska to work the pipeline. When the job was over he came back 'to good' to weld for what welding paid here. He drew out all his benefits and wasted away idle and broke.

"So funny to watch people complain about giving a miniscule raise to people making the lowest wages in the country,.."

Son, No one gives you, raises are to be earned. If you feel you're not being paid your worth, shop around. You may find you're right and get a raise from a different employer, or better yet.. start your own company and do it better.

That said, there are some that think the way to help those on the bottem rung is to load them down with rope and tell them they can't get up the ladder without the promise of those on top someday pulling them up.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 6:48 PM
  • Miniscule raise of 50%. Now that is a raise.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 7:05 PM
  • Ah, how times change. When the minimum wage was first established in 1938, it was set at $0.25 per hour - equating to $4.08 per hour in 2013 dollars as indexed to the Consumer Price Index. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42973.pdf

It seems since then, there has become an inflated sense of worth of 'minimum'...

Why be motivated and proactive to become all you can be, when raising the wage floor becomes good enough, for a lot less effort?

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 8:05 PM
  • All the experts are speaking.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 5:26 AM
  • "Remember the good old days when people made decent wages and the owners and CEO's were content to make 1 million a year instead of 500 million?"

I think that was back in the good ol' days when the Democrats were claiming Mr. Bush was fiscally irresponsible becuase he was running $400 billion dollar deficits. Oh, where have all the deficit-hating Democrats gone?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 6:55 AM
  • "Just keep them republicans talking"

That should be the democrats strategy / slogan.

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • "Mr. Bush was fiscally irresponsible becuase..."

Not really, he was "...fiscally irresponsible becuase..." he did not use budget surpluses to reduce the deficit, he cut taxes without cutting expenditures, and he spent a trillion dollars on an unnecessary and senseless war in Iraq.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:42 AM
  • "Mr. Bush was fiscally irresponsible becuase..."

Not really, he was "...fiscally irresponsible becuase..." he did not use budget surpluses to reduce the deficit, he cut taxes without cutting expenditures, and he spent a trillion dollars on an unnecessary and senseless war in Iraq.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:42 AM

This differs in no way with any president of recent history, including the current one.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 9:46 AM
  • ""Mr. Bush was fiscally irresponsible becuase...""

Mr. Bush is not President and has not been for just 19 days short of 5 years!

The current President is Barrack Hussein Obama. Get used to it and own it!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:04 AM
  • "...differs in no way with any president of recent history..."

Who else started a trillion dollar war costing the lives of 4000 American military members?

- - - - - -

"Get used to it and own it!"

The comment was posted to correct a statement made with regard claims about President Bush. There is no reason that President Bush should not be given credit for his accomplishments.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:17 AM
  • -- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:17 AM

It still applies.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • Common, I might add 3 years and 19 days more of incompetent leadership, where the country languishes without firm direction and hope for the future and where we are headed.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:25 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:39 AM
  • Wheels, Best video I've seen all year!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:43 AM
  • WAA WAA WAA

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:50 AM
  • Wheels, Best video I've seen all year!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:43 AM

Old John,

Me too! A friend from Ohio just sent it to me a few minutes ago.

Lefty doesn't like it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 10:57 AM
  • HWWT, actually I thought the video was pretty good. How they took legitimate people and morphed them into what they would look like if they were repubs. 3 years and 19 days for you to shed more tears and doom and gloom.

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:13 AM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:06 AM

BC,

I definitely believe in what you are saying, but I doubt you are going to get a lot of agreement from the far left.

I believe if they raise the minimum wage, it will only be a matter of a short time before all other wage brackets fall into line with raises to keep roughly the same percentage class differences that we have today between skilled and unskilled labor.

And it will be the very people that are touting higher minimum wages today demanding more for their skills tomorrow.... because they are worth more.

The only true way to earn more money is to make yourself worth more money, not just because you need more money.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:16 AM
  • Perhaps common should gargle with Summers Eve. Might get that Bush taste out of his mouth.

-- Posted by rocknroll on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:22 AM
  • I can't believe we still have poverty...shocking. -- Posted by Coconut Telegraph on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 11:59 AM

Give the government some credit. They're collecting all our personal information, some have stopped the happy meals and 32 oz soft drinks, they extended unemployment benefits to 99 weeks, they've increased our debt to $17 Trillion and record numbers are on welfare.

Hang on Coconut - I feel the end of poverty is just around the corner with all their hard work these past few years. You have to have "Hope and Change" don't you know?

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 12:18 PM
  • Government needs poverty, that's why they keep raising the bar on what's considered the poverty level.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 12:35 PM
  • maybe to many adult beverages last night. -- Posted by Coconut Telegraph on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 1:09 PM

Clearly I think I'm the one with too many adult beverages! :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 1:13 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: