Speak Out: CDC: Armed Victims Less Likely To Be Harmed By Attackers

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 10:50 AM:

by Greg Richter

A $10 million government report on gun violence ordered by President Barack Obama has concluded that people who are armed are less likely to be harmed by their attackers.

President Barack Obama issued an executive order in January calling for the report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Recent, highly publicized, tragic mass shootings in Newtown, Conn.; Aurora, Colo..; Oak Creek, Wisc. and Tucson, Ariz., have sharpened the American public's interest in protecting our children and communities from the harmful effects of firearm violence," according to the report.

The document -- "Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence" -- reports "studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was 'used' by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies."

An article published in the NRA News said "If the president was looking to the CDC report for support on how to reduce the threat of firearm-related violence through legislation restricting the rights of American citizens, he was sorely disappointed."

The report also noted that most firearm violence does not result in death.

In 2010, for example, some 105,000 Americans where injured or killed by guns, but more than two times as many suffered nonfatal wounds as those who were killed.

Most deaths from guns were the result of suicide, not homicide.

"Between the years 2000 and 2010, firearm-related suicides significantly outnumbered homicides for all age groups, annually accounting for 61 percent of the more than 335,600 people who died from firearm-related violence in the United States," the report said.

The report also noted that most felons get their guns from what researchers described as "informal sources," and that stolen guns account for a small percentage of those used by convicted criminals.

"Whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue," the report said.

Researchers said that it was still unclear whether passage of right-to-carry laws decrease or increase violent crime and that "gun turn-in programs are ineffective."

Replies (29)

• The CDC just made the washington d.c. federal politician's sh@t list.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 11:01 AM
  • It is inevitable that once in a while, given the gazillions of research grants that are being dropped by the federal government's flyover plane, one of those grants will result in research that is inconsistent with the administration's story line.

That is, once in a while one researcher doing one study will not stay "on message." There is some appeal to thinking that somewhere in the sludge at the bottom of the CDC there would be someone with a tiny bit of sanity, but this was probably an accident. The probability of having one study showing something counter to the "conventional wisdom" (which in this case is, "guns are bad; disarmament of the law-abiding is good"), when the federal government has an unlimited capacity for encouraging and funding research studies, is approaching one. That is, it's a near certainty.

So, everyone, don't get too excited. It was bound to happen, and is no indicator of things returning to sanity anytime soon.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 12:44 PM
  • Think maybe someone picked out parts they like? I'd reserve judgement until the entire report is available.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 1:00 PM
  • Never fear. The obama administration will discredit this study in short order.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 1:03 PM
  • Think maybe someone picked out parts they like? I'd reserve judgement until the entire report is available. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 1:00 PM

If Obama came out tomorrow and made a major speech to the world and said "We have proof that people who are armed are less likely to be harmed by their attackers" you would post continually on here about how "he didn't really mean that".

We've seen that over and over and over here.

Photos of Zimmerman with cuts on the back of his head and you say "All he suffered was a bloody nose".

Michelle Obama twice says "For the first time in my life I'm proud of my country" and you say "that's not really what she meant".

You never reserve judgement - you reserve the truth. Try it some time, you'll sleep better at night.

-- Posted by Dug on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 2:48 PM
  • That's not what this study concluded.

"The document -- "Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence" -- reports "studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was 'used' by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies."

-- Posted by Spaniard on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 4:32 PM

You won't know what the study concluded until commonsensematters reads the full report.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 7:54 PM
  • You won't know what the study concluded until commonsensematters reads the full report.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 7:54 PM

FFF,

If you don't mind, I would like to make a correction to that statement.

I feel...... We won't know what the study concluded until Common rewrites the report.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jul 21, 2013, at 10:06 PM
  • Where do I sign up to get paid big bucks to do a study on Armless People Less Likely To Be Charged With Armed Robbery?

I think the conversation should be about who gets the money and why concerning so many high dollar meaningless surveys, studies and reports.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 12:10 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 12:10 AM

Old John,

If I were President, I would assign you to study the 'Sex Life of the Marcipulous Butterfly' in LBC. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • Have_Wheels_Will_Travel For President!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 11:12 AM
  • Old John,

I chose LBC because BC can see it from his front porch and he can make sure you are doing a proper job.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 11:19 AM
  • Me as President would not be a good thing, I assure you the freeloaders would have me impeached and thrown out of office in 30 days.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM
  • Just think how much rent we can get for the living quarters in the WH as Wheels and his boss park in back. :)

Wheels, No problem with the free loaders, Common can be your press secretary and make'm think they're all getting a raise after the next election. Ike and Lefty will even vote for you on the second time around. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 6:18 PM
  • Just think how much rent we can get for the living quarters in the WH as Wheels and his boss park in back. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 6:18 PM

Yeah and we could barbeque some pork steaks for the next State Dinner.

How's the butterfly sex research coming along?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 6:35 PM
  • I reckon Wheels can count on Lefty's vote .

Wheels only problem might be attempting to make glugites the National Critter☺☺

-- Posted by .Rick* on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 6:49 PM

Rick,

Regards Lefty, doubt if I could count on his vote in running for dog catcher. Wonder what happened to him anyway. Wonder if he has found any more counties in Alabama that are Bastions of left wingnuts like his last FUBAR.

Gluegites..... I thought they had gone extinct.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 7:55 PM
  • I'm thinking Lefty may have found a new alias

-- Posted by .Rick* on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 8:19 PM

Rick,

Doesn't take too long for some of these Left Wingnuts to use up an alias and have to change names. You are one of the exceptions to name changing. You are forced into it by your "Admirers". You don't wear a name out like some do.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 8:29 PM
  • "How's the butterfly sex research coming along?" The money got diverted to someone doing a study about 'possum crossing flat land roads.

Wonder who that could be?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • Old Jpohn,

I think I know.

BC, you going to the Leopold Picnic?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 22, 2013, at 8:51 PM
  • http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=18319&page=6

The report has more questions that answers. You have to get to page 46 before you find the subject quote.

Also...

"Studies on the impact of right-to-carry laws on firearm violence also have inconsistent results and have been debated for a decade."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 9:04 AM
  • Wheels, We might go to the picnic. -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 9:18 AM

What picnic table will you two be at? You could get Common, Spaniard and Shapley together and have a "beer summit" :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 11:31 AM
  • Wheels, We might go to the picnic.

-- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 9:18 AM

I plan on being there.... I know where to find you. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 4:45 PM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 11:31 AM

Think we can bring Common around with enough cold beer?

-- Posted by .Rick* on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 4:38 PM

Rick, I quit smoking over 30 years ago.... afraid that might get me started again.... we better not do that.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 4:48 PM
  • The WSJ offers a good article on what I see as a threat to all law abiding Americans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323848804578608040780519904.html?K...

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • The WSJ offers a good article on what I see as a threat to all law abiding Americans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Hitler, his Gestapo, and the Nazi party lives. They reside in Washington D.C.

The Dept. of Education has a militarized SWAT Team? The SBA? The Dept. of the Interior? Is the U.S. Patent Office locked and loaded yet? How about the FCC? We know the IRS is. U.S. Marshals, DEA, BAT&F, FBI, U.S. Customs, ICE, Border Patrol, Homeland Security, U.S. Military, Congressional Police, Secret Service, CIA, DIA, seven or 8 other spy agencies, state police, county police, local police, conservation dept., Federal, state, and local judges and prosecutors, FAA, TSA, and what, 50, 60 more armed government agencies? Who can name more? And we actually have @ss clown citizens that believe only government should have guns.

Oh well, at least our government isn't spying on it's citizens.

THE GOVERNMENT AND IT'S POLITICIANS ARE HERE FOR US. BELIEVE IT, THE POLITICIANS AND IT'S MEDIA SAID SO.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Jul 23, 2013, at 10:24 PM
  • "What picnic table will you two be at? You could get Common, Spaniard and Shapley together and have a "beer summit" :-)"

I would be glad to attend the summit if you can get Shapley to be there. After all he's the only one with a picture on SO so we could recognize him.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 9:54 AM
  • " After all he's the only one with a picture on SO so we could recognize him."

I also have my picture on SO, it's a self portrait.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 10:18 AM
  • "I would be glad to attend the summit if you can get Shapley to be there. After all he's the only one with a picture on SO so we could recognize him."

I would go, but I can't make it this year.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 10:33 AM
  • I also have my picture on SO as well (see right).

When I'm not golfing and vacationing I do this for fun. Biden's running the country. It's an awesome gig. :-)

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 1:06 PM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 1:06 PM

Dug,

I wish you would not keep reminding us that the dumb arsed uninformed voters of this country elected this community organizer, not once but twice. :-(

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 1:26 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: